PDA

View Full Version : trimless tank

ThaNgBOm321
03/26/2008, 04:13 PM
hello,

im out to find an answer to something and it led me to this... how do you build a trimless tank??? i see pics of them in the large tank forum a lot... most custom tanks as it seem.... dont require the plastic trim not like the ones that you can get at the LFS... so how do they do it??? special technique??? special material??? what are the limitations??

anyone have an idea?

cward
03/26/2008, 07:37 PM
Thick glass keeps the panes from bowing, but there is height limitations. I would imagine it would put added stress to the silicone also.

ThaNgBOm321
03/26/2008, 07:59 PM
i have the basic understanding of glass thickness for a given height and length... and limitations for a given thickness... the thing that im really interestes in is how they keep the side from blowing apart from the bottom pane... there is still a lot of pressure on it.. but the silicone thickness is relativly the same... so how can they make trimless tanks with out the extra support that a plastic trim gives on regular tanks...

any idea cward???

side note... ( dont know why but i really have an urge to want to pet that monkey... )

cward
03/26/2008, 08:37 PM
There are plenty of manufacturer's that build tanks without the plastic plastic trim on the bottom, and only euro bracing at the top. The outward pressure would be the same at the bottom on those tanks. I would think that the thicker glass would give more of a silicone bonding area, but that's just a guess.

The Mandrill is the largest of the monkey family, and has 2 1/2" canine's. Still want to pet it:lol:

ThaNgBOm321
03/26/2008, 09:18 PM
yeah... that seems about right with the more surface area for the silicone to adhere to...

man.. wish someone with the reals answer would come and post something....

as for petting... i think i still would... i would use my left hand to pet.. the right will hold a club or something... 2 1/2'' canine's dont scare me too much.. i met plenty of scarier women... lol that is one cool looking monkey.... bet it would be really cool to have that one monkey i saw on the tube... the dud had it in the alm of his hand.. thing was friking AWSOME!!!!! silverback garilla are cool too... but i dont think i will pet one...