PDA

View Full Version : Phosban and reactor!!

mujtba
03/26/2008, 05:58 PM
I bought the two little fishies phosban reactor 150. I also got the phosban 150g container.

In the phosban container, it says best used with something that has upflow like two little fishies phosban reactor.

However, I have a HOB fuge with the same pump my two little fishies phosban reactor came with.

Can't I just put the phosban in a media bag, and put it in my fuge???

It seems like it will serve the same purpose. The flow in my fuge is not intense.

Wouldn't you agree?

The two little fishies phosban reactor seems to be just a tube which houses the phosban and water just passes thru it and into the tank.

I prefer not putting so many pumps into the tank unless necessary.

Please let me know asap. thanks

seapug
03/26/2008, 06:20 PM
The reactors force the water through the medium at a very even and controlled rate so it is much more effective than tossing a bag of it in the sump or fuge where the water can easily bypass it. It doesn't work too well when used "passively."

mujtba
03/26/2008, 06:47 PM
What if I placed it in the first chamber of my HOB fuge where the water enters. So I wonder if the water will PASS thru the MEDIA bag better this way. Maybe not as efficient as the reactor, but may work. No?..

seapug
03/26/2008, 09:08 PM
That would work better, but if you have a reactor I'd use it to get the maximum benefit.

bj32482
03/26/2008, 09:17 PM
send me the reactor if you are not going to use it...

mujtba
03/27/2008, 05:00 PM
my temp goes to 83 at times in summer.. i rather not put an extra pump.. my only reason. i already bought the reactor, so its not the money. plus i need to get 1 more pump for flow. i read on the phosban container that it does not have to be used in a reactor, but reactor does work best. so for now i put the phosban in a media bag packed and in the first chamber where water enters and has no where to go but flow upward half way and then to the following sections. i dont see a way around the media bag as it has to go thru it..

wow it seems like im the first person to test this out.. haha

well ill keep u posted. any idea if I used the reactor how long it would take for my algae to dissappear?

seapug, also how did u get those sexy colors for the zoos? can you post these for your tank:

CALC
PH
ALK
MAG
LIGHTING

tbar
03/27/2008, 05:22 PM
I would like an answer to this question too, I don't have a phosban reactor amd only have some media in a bag in the sump doing the passive thing. I have a aquaclear type HOB filter in the shed I think. It would be better to fill that with phiosban media and put that on the tank then what I'm doing now correct. I don't really have much room in the sump for a reactor.

mikesommers
03/27/2008, 05:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12184967#post12184967 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mujtba
I bought the two little fishies phosban reactor 150. I also got the phosban 150g container.

In the phosban container, it says best used with something that has upflow like two little fishies phosban reactor.

However, I have a HOB fuge with the same pump my two little fishies phosban reactor came with.

Can't I just put the phosban in a media bag, and put it in my fuge???

It seems like it will serve the same purpose. The flow in my fuge is not intense.

Wouldn't you agree?

The two little fishies phosban reactor seems to be just a tube which houses the phosban and water just passes thru it and into the tank.

I prefer not putting so many pumps into the tank unless necessary.

Please let me know asap. thanks

The pump on a reactor is so little that it wont produce enough heat to even notice. The reactor is the only way to go. I have 8 pumps in my 75 but I also use a chiller. I live in GA and it gets hot the tank whould see 95 without the chiller. You only want about 50gph on the reactor a tiny maxi jet is what I am using. It works so good.

mujtba
03/27/2008, 05:56 PM
How long before you see results? See my only thing is has anyone tried another method and failed, or just wants to go with reactors.. my HOB fuge has 3 sections.. if all the phosban needs is a little flow, then i think the first chamber gives it..

i realy am curious if others tested another way.. and what type of results should i see and how soon?

mikesommers
03/27/2008, 06:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12192895#post12192895 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mujtba
How long before you see results? See my only thing is has anyone tried another method and failed, or just wants to go with reactors.. my HOB fuge has 3 sections.. if all the phosban needs is a little flow, then i think the first chamber gives it..

i realy am curious if others tested another way.. and what type of results should i see and how soon?

1 week. The way the water flows across the GFO is unbleavable.
I dont know how else you chould circulate the water across it in this manner.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/176754DSCF0004A.jpg

tbar
03/27/2008, 06:16 PM
I know a reactor would be best but wouldn't the HOB be better then passive? I have not seen much progress with passive.

spleen93
03/27/2008, 06:24 PM
HOB is better than passive in terms of media/water contact. However, most HOB filters have flow rates that are much faster than what is recommended for GFO - frankly, you run the risk of grinding your GFO into powder and spreading it into the tank. Lots of bad anecdotal reports of corals responding poorly to direct contact with GFO powder. Your risk if you want to try it.

msman825
03/27/2008, 07:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12193085#post12193085 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by spleen93
HOB is better than passive in terms of media/water contact. However, most HOB filters have flow rates that are much faster than what is recommended for GFO - frankly, you run the risk of grinding your GFO into powder and spreading it into the tank. Lots of bad anecdotal reports of corals responding poorly to direct contact with GFO powder. Your risk if you want to try it. right on, 2 much flow bad idea

mikesommers
03/27/2008, 07:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12193465#post12193465 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by msman825
right on, 2 much flow bad idea

Exactly!!

monty
03/27/2008, 07:22 PM
i prefer reactors, especially the one you got. prevents any channeling and allows greatest amount of contact. they work really well. i wouldnt worry about heat from something small like a minijet

mikesommers
03/27/2008, 07:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12193508#post12193508 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by monty
i prefer reactors, especially the one you got. prevents any channeling and allows greatest amount of contact. they work really well. i wouldnt worry about heat from something small like a minijet

Exactly!!! They are the best. I went through this same thing befor I got mine 2 months ago. I whouldnt trade it for anything!!!!!!!

monty
03/27/2008, 07:29 PM
i liked them so much, i run two...they're cheap, easy, and clean

mikesommers
03/27/2008, 07:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12193556#post12193556 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by monty
i liked them so much, i run two...they're cheap, easy, and clean

YEP!!!

jdieck
03/27/2008, 07:47 PM
The reactor uses a lot less flow than the pump will handle, do not add one more pump just T off some flow from your fuge pump into the reactor and adjust the reactor flow using the valve that came with it, the rest of the flow will continue going to the HOB fuge as usual.

mujtba
03/27/2008, 08:21 PM
How do I T off? What parts?

drfdisk
03/27/2008, 08:35 PM
I agree you should get a pump. I have 2 of the same reactors, one with phos, and one with carbon. The highest rate of flow through the media should only be about 30-50GPH. Putting it in a HOB would probably deplete your media too fast to do any good.

If you already have the reactor just buy the 15 dollar pump and be done with it. Otherwise you could be spending $$$ on Phosban every month!

Maxi-jet 400 (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4585+4609&pcatid=4609)

seapug
03/27/2008, 09:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12192492#post12192492 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mujtba
seapug, also how did u get those sexy colors for the zoos? can you post these for your tank:

CALC
PH
ALK
MAG
LIGHTING

Thanks.
I don't want to sidetrack the thread but to answer your questions:

Keeping Phosphate at an absolute minimum using PhosBan IN A REACTOR really improves the colors on all my corals. :)

I'm not a big "water tester," but here's some ballpark figures

calc: somewhere around 400
pH: 8.2 last time I checked (a couple months ago)
alk: usually somewhere between 8-12
mag: between 1200 and 1600 depending on whether or not I'm trying to kill bryposis.
lighting: 150W 14K Pheonix - 12K Reeflux - dual actinic PCs.

jdieck
03/27/2008, 09:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12193927#post12193927 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mujtba
How do I T off? What parts?
Depends on how your powerhead is now conected to your fuge.
If it is a hose just get a T fitting and cut the hose in the middle and add another pice of hose from the T to the reactor's valve.
If it is hard PVC you need a slip T fitting to glue in both sides of the PVC pipe cut. Install a slip to female thred fitting on the T for the reactor and thread to it a male to insert fitting then a hose from there to the reactor.

jennmac415
03/27/2008, 09:43 PM
what about using one of these little pumps? Could it be used to run 2 reactors..with a "T".... one with carbon and one with phosphate media?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4585+14665&pcatid=14665

seapug
03/27/2008, 09:51 PM
I've heard of quite a few people who use those minijets. I use a MJ600 with two reactors daisy chained together (carbon then PhosBan) and I have to crank the flow valve way back. It doesn't take a large pump to operate them.

Salamander
03/27/2008, 10:38 PM
I don't have a link but I remember a thread by Jetcat where he closely monitored phosphate levels for effectiveness of GFO reactors. It was a pretty good thread and might be worth a search.

NeuroLarry
03/27/2008, 10:55 PM
I initially used ROWA Phos in a bag in my refugium with marginal results, I then added a Kent phospahate reactor and wasn't particularly impressed with the results. I just switched to GEO reactor and found it to be much more effective and easier to use. I think my system was too big for a single Kent reactor which is a toy compared to the GEO.

spleen93
03/28/2008, 02:14 PM
I use a minijet for my phosban reactor - works well (though even with that, I need to turn down the flow). The minijet is nice and slim, even smaller than the maxijet which makes it perfect in my cramped sump.

mikesommers
03/28/2008, 03:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12194724#post12194724 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seapug
I've heard of quite a few people who use those minijets. I use a MJ600 with two reactors daisy chained together (carbon then PhosBan) and I have to crank the flow valve way back. It doesn't take a large pump to operate them.

Im using a minijet no valves and it works GREAT!

Red_Six
03/28/2008, 04:35 PM
I second the tee fitting idea. The reactor uses very little flow.

mujtba
03/28/2008, 04:36 PM
So tell me this.. is the PHOSBAN supposed to remove all ALGAE from tank? what is the purpose of it? It removes phospates, but how do we visibilly tell?

Red_Six
03/28/2008, 04:58 PM
Phosphates inhibit coral growth.

Algae feed on phosphates.

Test your water to know what your current phosphate levels are.

mujtba
03/28/2008, 07:21 PM
Well i dont know if any of u have the CPR HOB fuge.. if u saw the 1st chamber, you would know what im saying.. the phosban reactor is just a cylinder for water to pass thru the phosban.. a nice idea.. however, there must be more than 1 way to skin a cat.. it looks like im first to experiment this.

seapug
03/28/2008, 09:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12199642#post12199642 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mujtba
So tell me this.. is the PHOSBAN supposed to remove all ALGAE from tank? what is the purpose of it? It removes phospates, but how do we visibilly tell?

When the algae dies and disappears. It might take a few weeks and one or two media changes, but it does work. When you see it happen it's worth every penny.

jawaiianmon
03/28/2008, 11:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12201519#post12201519 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seapug
When the algae dies and disappears. It might take a few weeks and one or two media changes, but it does work. When you see it happen it's worth every penny.

I put in a reactor for phosban and one for carbon about three weeks ago and I am watching my hair algae slowly starve and die off. Poor thing. :D

mujtba
03/29/2008, 08:54 AM
What does carbon do? How come i use RODI water and still get phospate?:confused:

So i wont see PHOSBAN results for like 2 weeks?

And the first time, I do have to replace the phosband quicker??? Not after 2 months?

mujtba
03/29/2008, 10:03 AM
In addition to my QUESTION on previous post. So please answer that.

Anyway, this is how it works in my tank for a better understanding:

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/7893/phosbanem3.jpg

So I am hoping it works out for me. I will keep you guys posted on results. Its been on for 2 days now, and I do see LESS algae in my FUGE already. Maybe it will slowly effect the tank too?

mujtba
04/15/2008, 09:29 PM
okay time for update/... algae has been diminishing from my tank.. it is MUCH less than b4, especially brown algae... so looks like the media bag in fuge is workin!!! no need for reactor. jus have to put the media bag where wated flows thru always.

seapug
04/15/2008, 09:32 PM
the reactors are a proven method, but as always, go with whatever works for you....

jdieck
04/15/2008, 10:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12203504#post12203504 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mujtba
What does carbon do? How come i use RODI water and still get phospate?:confused:
Carbon is mostly effective in removing disolved organic compounds like tannins (from algae) that discolor the water, alopathic compounds released by soft corals as defense, any volatile organic that gets in your water from cleaners, cooking or so. Carbon will only remove some phosphates and nitrates that bind to organics so it is very ineffective in their removal.

The largest source of phosphate is the food we add besides some water sources.

So i wont see PHOSBAN results for like 2 weeks?
Depends on the initial level of phosphates and the amount of media being used. It might take as little as four to five days or as long as a month to start seeing some results.

And the first time, I do have to replace the phosband quicker??? Not after 2 months? If the initial level is high the media may saturate very quickly (in two to four days) It will last two months only after you have reached the lower level of less than 0.03 ppm. Of course how long also depends on the amount of import and other exports.

Finally if you use the media in a bag try tightning it so the media dose not play around with the flow, as it is brittle it will pulverize and end up in your tank. Also to improve flow thru try using pelletized media like Phosar.
Also in a bag there wil be more tendency for the media to clump together so watch for that clumping which deteriorates the flow and neads you to break the clumps once in a while.

mujtba
04/16/2008, 04:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12339413#post12339413 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seapug
the reactors are a proven method, but as always, go with whatever works for you....

i never said reactors wont work.. i just said its not necessary. keep in mind i kept asking has anyone tried another method.. NO ONE has but me... and now, media bag in fuge is another proven method...

there are many ways to skin a cat.

jdieck
04/16/2008, 07:16 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12340721#post12340721 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mujtba
i never said reactors wont work.. i just said its not necessary. keep in mind i kept asking has anyone tried another method.. NO ONE has but me... and now, media bag in fuge is another proven method...

there are many ways to skin a cat.
Media bags have been and are being used by many with the issues mentioned above. Brittle slow break up of the media and clumping.

maroun.c
04/16/2008, 08:28 AM
Will Caulerpa eventually also die because of lack of phosphate too?

jdieck
04/16/2008, 11:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12341564#post12341564 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by maroun.c
Will Caulerpa eventually also die because of lack of phosphate too?
Caulerpa require very little nutrients so it might be very difficult to kill it by reducing the phosphates but in any case it will be very limited to grow and proliferate. Removing Nitrates will have more of an impact on caulerpa.

Patrick12
04/16/2008, 11:18 AM
You can run a carbon and phosban reactor from one MJ. The fluidized media chambers like you have for the phosban are better for a number of reasons. First, they make the media last longer by exhausting it fully because each granule will have full access to the water column. Second, they work better for the same reason as above. In the end, they will pay for themselves in the media costs as you will have to replace them less often. They also are less of a detritius trap than the filter media bags. They will still harbor some detritus in the filter sponges located within the chamber, but far less than the media bags. I highly recommend the fludized media chambers over the other methods for these reasons.

jennmac415
04/16/2008, 11:46 AM
Patrick.. that is the method I am going to be using.. simply T off of the maxijet, one tube going to the carbon and one tube going to the phosban? sry.. I am old and slow, can you post a pic of this.. I am more of a "visual" learner in my old age! LOL