PDA

View Full Version : Low ph

Scudd
03/27/2008, 08:26 AM
I have started to drip Kalk with my auto top-off, but in the mornings I'm noticing the Ph is around 7.7-7.9. Do you think I should be adding some sort of buffer or leave alone? Mid day it hits 8.0 and maybe a high of 8.1. This is a reef tank with SPS and LPS corals. Thanks...

bach2pilot
03/27/2008, 11:20 AM
How's everything doing? If your corals are doing well, and your alk and calc are good, I would be hesitant on messing with it. I'm a big proponent of "if it ain't broke - don't fix it".

IMO, ph of 7.7 is a bit low, but mine is routinely 7.8 in the morning. My tank is doing very well (knock on wood).

Have you tried the "easy stuff" - good ventilation, an opposite light cycle in sump, putting your calc reactor effluent upsteam of your protein skimmer?...(I would rather do some small structural changes than start dumping chemicals.)

snorvich
03/27/2008, 01:54 PM
Also, be sure you are measuring Ph with a calibrated probe. These babies slip out of calibration frequently.

Marklu
03/27/2008, 01:58 PM
If you have a fuge with a plenty of macroalgae, a reverse lighting cycle should probably be enough to keep it at least 7.9-8.0 in the morning.