PDA

View Full Version : zero edge nano: will snails crawl out?

cwilson
03/27/2008, 11:05 AM
im setting up a 9gal display (16"x16"x8") and i plan on having snails as part of my CUC. but i have a simple (and kind of dumb :rolleyes: ) question: wil lthey crawl out of the tank? ive always had a traditional tank, so the plastic brace would stop them.

any advice or experiences or general feedback is always good! thanks for reading! :)

PhilipOSU
03/27/2008, 11:26 AM
I have heard that it is regular for snails to end up in the sump on these tanks. Also, don't forget your check valves!!!!

TeeLapia
03/27/2008, 11:34 AM
Now, is it going to be a true zero edge? Where the water flows out from the sides? If so then yes they will crawl out. If not then no they will not. They tend to not like the dry sides of the aquarium. Make sure you put in eggcrate to prevent them from crawling into your valves, if it is a true zero edge.

Savas
03/27/2008, 12:10 PM
They will absolutley crawl out if there is nothing to stop them. Most snails can survive out of water for a period, so the lack of water does not make them turn back.

cwilson
03/27/2008, 12:17 PM
OOPS! :rolleyes:

i def. meant to say rimless.sorry, everyone!! :o

i posted this right after reading the zero-edge thread up right now.

again, my appologies.

so.......
will snails crawl out of a RIMELESS tank?

Kinetic
03/27/2008, 12:28 PM
I find that when you first introduce snails, they'll try to crawl out, after a few months they never do it again.

For awhile my snails (mostly the nassarius) would crawl out, but me keeping my tank spotless, I would see the water trail on the dry side of the tank and track down the snail and plop them back into the tank.

If they crawl out the back, however, I might not see them (black backed)

I have an ELOS rimless tank.

Savas
03/27/2008, 12:30 PM
Yes they will crawl out a rimless. They are not smart enough to have a memory that they crawled out once (before).

cwilson
03/27/2008, 12:30 PM
gotcha.. ill have to keep an eye out then.

thanks!