PDA

View Full Version : Chasing my calcium numbers

DLANDINO
03/27/2008, 11:30 AM
Hi, I have been trying to keep my calcium numbers up around 460 and am having trouble keeping up with it. I initially raised the calcium level with Reef Complete Calcium over the course of about 2 weeks. Got the number where I wanted it and then began dosing Kent Marine parts A and B about every other day to maintain my level. I am constantly finding my numbers around 360 even though I was dosing every day. Should I increase the dosing of parts A and B to twice per day? Or, what is the best solution to my problem.

I know a calcium reactor will probably be the best, but I have little room left in my reef corner of the house and even less patience on the part of my wife. Thanks!

DLANDINO
03/27/2008, 11:32 AM
i am sorry for the multiple postings, the site was hung up as I hit submit. Very sorry.

Dave

fishysteve
03/27/2008, 11:49 AM
Increase the amount that you dose. I would still only dose once a day.

mattiej
03/27/2008, 12:41 PM
I also use Kent Marine Two Part and found that I had to increase the dosage to about twice what was recommended for my size tank. I also use Randy's Two Part as the components are readily available. I am also in the same boat as I would love to add a reactor but my budget, lets say the budget I was put on, does not allow for a reactor at present. I will probably have to add a reactor in the future as my sps grow.

DLandino-got to know what is the answer to the riddle in your signature. Can't seem to get it.

DLANDINO
03/27/2008, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I appreciate the help. I know about the budget you speak of, kinda stinks huh. I actually had to swear off Starbucks coffee in order to get an ro/di unit. Still in the process of that one. It is slow going. Kinda like asking a crack addict to give up crack for some tap water.

Riddle, I'll never tell, but will entertain yes or no questions in Private Message.

Thanks again!

rbursek
03/27/2008, 01:18 PM
What is your Mg level? If that is low it is very diffecult to get Ca up and hold it there.

fishysteve
03/28/2008, 07:06 AM
DLANDINO - I use the Kent CB stuff and use 1 mL/gal of each A & B. So I use about 140 mL of each per day. I'll soon be switching to Randy's Two Part next month.

Billybeau1
03/28/2008, 07:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12190569#post12190569 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mattiej
DLandino-got to know what is the answer to the riddle in your signature. Can't seem to get it.

matt, there are 52 cards in a deck of Bicycles. :D

We do not just specialize in salt water chemistry here. Not counting jokers of course. :lol:

DLANDINO
03/28/2008, 07:55 AM
I have never tested for Magnesium. Should I begin asap? Also, what test kit is best? Thanks again.

pjr300
03/28/2008, 08:42 AM
I started testing for mag, and it was low... I found that once I began dosing mag, my alk remained more stable and my calcium absorbsion also increased. I am seeing significant growth improvments as well.

rbursek
03/28/2008, 08:44 AM
The Elos is a simple kit to use.

Billybeau1
03/28/2008, 01:44 PM
For the hobby grade kits, Salifert and Elos seem to be the most consistent as of late. :)

DLANDINO
03/28/2008, 01:49 PM
Thanks, I am going to my LFS tonight to get a kit. I am hoping that they have either of these two you guys / gals mention.

Dave