PDA

View Full Version : Whats the longest you waited before your fish accepted food?

happyface888
03/27/2008, 01:04 PM
I was wondering whats your longest wait in getting a fish to accept food? My flame has yet to eat anything I throw in my tank but pick and its been 6 days so far.

2OceanLovers
03/27/2008, 01:25 PM
It took me 8 days to see my orange firefish eat anything. I have him for almost 2 years now. Scary start, though. I have heard of angels taking a pretty long time sometimes because they are used to picking the rocks for food. If your tank has enough live rock I wouldn't worry yet because he should be at least getting his minimum nutrition from the live rock. What kind of set-up do you have: size and tank companions.

happyface888
03/27/2008, 01:47 PM
Yeah I have a lot of live rocks. Its a 45g, but the turbos might be wiping out the algae though. Tank is a mixed reef, I got 2 clowns, a 6line and a bicolor blenny.

2OceanLovers
03/27/2008, 06:55 PM
I wouldn't be worried yet. Try offering food soaked is garlic or selcon to help. Also, I had a lemonpeel angel a while back and it loved nori sheets. Since angels are herbivorous try some green stuff.

cee
03/27/2008, 06:57 PM
1 month on a Purple Queen anthias. Had him going on a year now, though, and his appetite is great. I'd would have never guessed!

AquaReeferMan
03/27/2008, 07:00 PM
My Flame and my Kole wouldnt eat anything I put in the tank for the first month. Now they eat anything. Ive had them both for over a year now.

Frostyeel
03/27/2008, 08:40 PM
My possum wrasse wouldn't eat anything I gave it until a few weeks after it cleaned out the pod population in my tank, which took it about a month. After that it started eating meaty foods like mysis but it took it a few more months of living with pellet food loving tank mates before it finally learned that pellet foods were edible.

melanotaenia
03/27/2008, 10:43 PM
about two weeks, then I worry

adtravels
03/28/2008, 07:21 AM
golden dwarf angelfish, three months

happyface888
03/28/2008, 02:06 PM
Oh man I'd be seriously scared if it took me that long. Right now my flames just picking on rocks. But man thats pretty scary.
@2ocean
I'll give it a try.

niles1967
03/28/2008, 03:39 PM
Just picking on the rocks is extremely important and positive. I have a 10" blue face angel that did not eat for (no exaggeration) three months. I thought for sure it was going to die. Then, out of the blue, it started nibbling on algae sheets and soon thereafter Formula One. Now it is the biggest slob in my tank and is fat and healthy. I still believe that this fish was caught with cyanide and it took months for it to recover. In the beginning it seemed to peck at food but it would literally miss with it's mouth. Not anymore. Good luck.

happyface888
03/31/2008, 02:32 PM
Man some scary stories there.

reefwisher
03/31/2008, 05:59 PM
I use to put my fish in the tank and wait for it to eat, days after days plus it being shy. I now put them in a 10 gal QT and holding tank for at least 4 weeks. I had very good luck with them getting to eat faster and more of the foods with them being in a smaller tank plus they get to know you. Then when I put them in the main tanks I have no problems with them.

scchase
03/31/2008, 08:22 PM
6 months I had a marine betta disappear in a system and didnt see it for 6 months then it came out an became one of the gang normally i get worried after 2 weeks though