PDA

View Full Version : Vitamins and supplements for 29 BC

vwwanksta69
03/27/2008, 02:19 PM
My tank (FOWLR) has been running for about a month now, water parameters are good, got two fish (green chromis, B&W clown) and have been doing 25% water changes each week, my question is what vitamins and supplements (trace elements) should I be adding now, I want to get a scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp soon and I know they need iodine....Should I be using something like kent marine Nano-Reef Part A & B Ion & Buffer? or should I just be doing Iodine? thanks

Randall_James
03/27/2008, 02:29 PM
no supplements at all... just stick with waterchanges...

vwwanksta69
03/27/2008, 02:31 PM
will there be enough in the water changes to help with molting? and what if I start to add corals, should I be adding calcium? thanks

Toddrtrex
03/27/2008, 02:31 PM
IMO, there is no need to dose Iodine, water changes should take care of that.

As for other dosing, only do it if you test for it.
The main ones being, Cal, Alk, and Mag. But for a FOWLR, normal water changes ( with a decent salt ) should be all that you need.

greenbean36191
03/27/2008, 04:17 PM
Crustaceans get all the iodine they need from their food, not the water. They have no trouble molting in low-iodine water. Excess iodine is toxic and seems to induce premature molting in crustaceans, which is a way they purge themselves of toxins that they sequester in the exoskeleton.

woogy
03/27/2008, 10:45 PM
We actually have that shrimp. We have had him for a couple years now and have never added any supplements and he molts alot. He has more than tripled in size since we got him. We just do regular water changes. They are hardy eaters, at least mine is. He eats alot. Loves frozen brine shrimp. You will enjoy watching him. They are fun. Good luck!

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/28/2008, 07:57 AM
Calcium and alkalinity are the biggies and are essentially always necessary in some form. Magnesium if it becomes depleted. Anything else is on a case by case basis, such as iron for macroalgae, silicate for sponges, etc.

I make recommendations ad justifications for or against various types of supplements here:

The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners, Part 2: What Chemicals Must be Supplemented
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php