PDA

View Full Version : zoa lighting question

bugbdon
03/28/2008, 05:27 PM
hello everyone,
i have a bc29 and i'm looking to upgrade my lighting so that i can have zoa's and have them really "pop" with color. at some point i am going to have a clam and some sps so i know i need a metal halide fixture. i've looked into the 20" sunpod 150W, but i'm told that the zoa's color won't look that great under just metal halides alone. (even with a 140000k bulb) is this true? and if so, how can i solve this little problem?
any advice on lighting? please!

nikonosis
03/30/2008, 10:51 AM
you can add actinics but who told you the color wouldn't look that great under halides?

flyyyguy
03/30/2008, 12:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12210635#post12210635 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nikonosis
who told you the color wouldn't look that great under halides?

Somebody who has never owned halides nor seen very many tanks besides their own :lol:

nikonosis
03/30/2008, 12:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12211161#post12211161 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by flyyyguy
Somebody who has never owned halides nor seen very many tanks besides their own :lol:

Thats what I was thinking...

MUCHO REEF
03/31/2008, 07:04 AM
I don't mean at all to come off cocky,but this statement from the person who told you this.

"but i'm told that the zoa's color won't look that great under just metal halides alone."

Is just another example of bad information. This is why I try to always advocate education more than anything else.

Many factors come into play when you decide on the proper lighting.

What corals are you going to keep now and in the future?

Are you looking for great coloration?

Great growth?

Or both?

Energy ( electrical bill ) concerns?

What type of ballast are you going to run them with?

Do you want a dust to dawn affect?

If so, you'll need actinics.

There are a look of good MH bulbs on the market that will yield great coloration. Glad you ask this question here though.

Good Luck.

Mucho Reef

bugbdon
03/31/2008, 11:00 PM
i'd like to have a few shrooms on the lower portion of the tank, zoas in the middle and sps up near the top. i'd also like 1 crocea clam. i'd love to have the zoas cover some of the rock and really color up. dawn to dusk effect would be great and i'm told that can be done with the sunpod. thanks everyone for their input