PDA

View Full Version : Non-grounded outlets

Aiwass
03/28/2008, 08:35 PM
Quick question. I just moved into an apartment with old, non-grounded outlets and I'm wondering what the issues are with installing an aquarium. I have several adapters that allow me to use grounded plugs on 2-prong outlets, but I'm not sure this seems like a smart/safe setup. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

reefergeorge
03/28/2008, 08:41 PM
A few options.
You can install a gfci, and label it no equipment ground. This will protect you, but not the equipment.

You could check to see if your boxes are grounded. Use a voltmeter, and go from hot to metal in the box.

You could install a ground if you have access to a basement.

Don't use the 3-2 prong adapters. It is the same as cutting off the ground prong if installed wrong.

Aiwass
03/28/2008, 08:46 PM
Can I pick up a gfci power strip at the home depot that would be compatible with an outlet that isn't grounded? Or would I have to use the 3-2 prong adapter to use a gfci anyways?

reefergeorge
03/28/2008, 08:54 PM
The NEC says you can replace the two prong receptacles with a gfci if you label it no equipment ground.
The power strip will have a three prong plug. So you are back to the same problem.
A gfci trips two ways. One is if it senses a current to ground, and the other is if the incoming , and outgoing current have a difference <5ma. So it will still save you from getting a jolt.
I wouldn't run everything off one gfci, because if it nuisance trips while you are out. You can lose your tank.