PDA

View Full Version : camel shrimp removal

bugbdon
03/28/2008, 09:11 PM
does anyone know of a way to get camel shrimp out of my tank? i bought them from a lfs who said they were reef safe. i've learned other wise and i'd like to get the the H@*& out of my tank before i add any coral
thanks

jumpfreak26
03/28/2008, 09:20 PM
just an idea, i have no experience at all. try a mason jar with a small hole in the lid, big enough for him to get into. put some food in there. And wait. like a shrimp hunter in his coral stand. waiting for the opportune moment lol

bugbdon
03/28/2008, 10:41 PM
yeah i was thinking of something like that.....i hope it works

weimers75
03/29/2008, 08:28 AM
Are you sure its a camel shrimp? They look very similar to peppermint shrimp only camel shrimp have a more pronounced hump.

If its a peppermint, you're ok, it's reefsafe and may have been mislabeled by the fish store. If not, I'm sorry but I have no suggestions other than what jumpfreak offered. I too have a shrimp I'd like to catch and relocate - its a pistol shrimp that hasn't found my goby pair.

mikellini
03/29/2008, 12:42 PM
I had this exact same problem. I tried the jar method, I tried the putting food in the net method, I tried singing to it.... nothing worked. After it destroyed half of my zoos I drained half of the tank into a rubbermaid, removed the rocks and placed them in it, and then chased him around with a net. I'd say that was what I should have done in the first place, the rest was too frustrating. Especially the singing lol...

bugbdon
03/29/2008, 07:13 PM
i'm sure it's a camel shrimp. i think i'll just drain the tank tomorrow. thanks for saving me the frustration. that lfs is going to get an ear full from me next time i walk in. i told them the tank was going to be a reef and they said "everything i gave you today will be fine in a reef"....yeah right

snake plissken
03/29/2008, 10:51 PM
a camelback shrimp ate my ricordia, my mushrooms and my frogspawn. i had to remove all of my corals and 90% of my live rock to try and get him out. he was so fast and could hide so well he did not leave me much choice...all other attempts/tricks failed

even after emptying my tank of hiding places, i still used a large piece of scrap acrylic i had lying around to cut my tank in half. then i could cut down his room to roam and eventually netted him

if you do not have any coral yet, consider yourself very lucky

bugbdon
03/31/2008, 11:19 PM
lucky i am, i got them out of there......the poor shrimp didn't live through it, unfortunately, but they're out of there and the expensive coral that is to come will be safe (from shrimp atleast)