PDA

View Full Version : Kalkwasser...GOOD or BAD

downhillbiker
03/29/2008, 01:53 PM
I was just wondering if this product was good or bad. I was told my a local reefer that I should try it. I was told that it raises PH but then levels out, and can work great. I like that it is all in one, and i dont have to try and balance calcium and carbonate alkalinity to the tank. I know it may not be as accurate, but I like less headache.

What do you guys think about this stuff. My friend has food grade Kalkwasser that he is selling cheap. Should I do it?

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/29/2008, 01:59 PM
Otherwise known in English as limewater, it is used by probably a quarter to a third or so of experienced folks on this site. It is a fine and inexpensive (if you buy inexpensive brands) way to supplement calcium and alkalinity, and to help keep up pH if your home has excess CO2 in the air.

It must be dissolved in fresh water and added very slowly, as in dripping or slow pump.

It's what I've used in my tank for calcium and alkalinity for more than a decade.

These have more:

How to Select a Calcium and Alkalinity Supplementation Scheme
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

What Your Grandmother Never Told You About Lime
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.htm

Jmikitz
03/29/2008, 02:10 PM
i like kalk.. i started using it after i set up a cal. reactor..not hard to use.. can drip it or put it in your ato.

reefworm
03/29/2008, 02:48 PM
great for maintaining levels. I use a two-part to "bump" levels up occasionally, as needed. It's cheaper if you buy pickling lime rather than the stuff labeled for the hobby. Ball's or Mrs. Wage's are good and lots less $$. Be sure to read the links from Randy.

mouscacha
03/29/2008, 03:23 PM
^^Agreed.

ReefTECK
03/29/2008, 04:15 PM
I live by it. No reason not to use such an inexpensive Ca, and alk supplement.

FourWindsDealer
03/29/2008, 04:20 PM
Does anyone know if hydrated lime from the local garden center is the same thing ???

Jamesurq
03/29/2008, 04:26 PM
If you're looking to go with a non aquarium brand, best bet is food grade pickling lime. Mrs Wages is a popular brand. Very cheap.

I would worry that the agricultural grade stuff may have impurities.

downhillbiker
03/29/2008, 04:31 PM
thanks guys. the stuff that my buddy is going to sell to me is food grade and about $7 for 5 lbs. is that a good deal?

rbursek
03/29/2008, 04:37 PM
YES