PDA

View Full Version : shark egg just hatched!!!!!!!! please help!!!!!!

fishkid6692
03/29/2008, 02:45 PM
i need to know your expierience with black banded cat shark babies!!!!! i hatched the egg but i know that was the easy part. now i have to get it to eat! how long should i wait to try and feed it? what should i use to entice it to eat? any other pointers or advice would be GREATLY appreciated! thanks in advance!

BLKTANG
03/29/2008, 03:35 PM
how about some pics??

fishkid6692
03/29/2008, 04:16 PM
here it is!
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h80/mattiskool98/Photo99.jpg

fishkid6692
03/29/2008, 04:17 PM
and heres another.
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h80/mattiskool98/Photo101.jpg

seanb1
03/29/2008, 04:34 PM
i have a buddy that has a few sharks, i seem to remember him feeding them cocktail shrimp soaked in zoe additive.

he also used some sort of shark food called shark formula or something to that effect.

he always had his lights out when he fed them also.

im pretty sure that sharks as soon as the yolk sac is gone will eat.

try a cocktail shrimp rinsed in tank water first.

Moosetache
03/29/2008, 04:38 PM
What size tank do you have this in??? largest tank I see in your profile is a 40 Reef...

fishkid6692
03/29/2008, 04:51 PM
he is in a nursery tank until he starts to eat. i have a 180g that i am buying in about a month. and it will have a 75g fuge and it will go in there for a little while and then it will be sold to someone that can care for it when it gets big.

seanb1
03/29/2008, 05:19 PM
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/sharkeggfaq2.htm

krazykarel
03/29/2008, 05:51 PM
That is friggin cool! And all this time I though sharks were like whales ;0)

suzimcmullen
03/29/2008, 05:58 PM
You must have one freaking big net to get that thing out! I'd be afraid of it myself.

Suzi

GBE378
03/29/2008, 06:36 PM
Very cool! How long did you have the egg before it hatch?

fishkid6692
03/29/2008, 07:11 PM
i've had the egg for about 3.5 months and i had to cut it out of the egg because it wasn't coming out on it's own and was thrashing for a while and we decided to help it. as of right now he's doing great!

xdfireguy
03/29/2008, 07:18 PM
If you haven't already, please pick up a copy of Scott Michael's "Aquarium Sharks & Rays". It is a great intro to shark keeping and will run you through the in's and out's. I'll peruse my copy and see if anything stands out that might help you. I will preface any further advise with this statement: I have not kept sharks myself, after reading the above book I realized that it was not for me. But if I can find some info that helps you, I would be happy to do so.

NewFish3
03/29/2008, 07:21 PM
fishkid6692...........that is so cool.....any chance you got all this on video ???

If so...please post it :dance:

fishkid6692
03/29/2008, 07:36 PM
lol i wish i had it on video! but the next eggs i hatch i will try to get a video of them! i plan to set up a 40g breeder and hatch all diff. types of sharks and then i will just donate them to my local aqauriums. i have 2 in my area. i just love watching them hatch and i think there so cool! i may keep this one but it's undecided at this point. any ideas where i can get more shark eggs? and not just banded shark eggs... every kind you can find! any info would be great!

xdfireguy
03/29/2008, 07:38 PM
If you haven't already, please check with the aquariums before getting too far along. Many will not take in sharks from individuals.

rlm2005
03/29/2008, 07:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12207083#post12207083 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xdfireguy
If you haven't already, please check with the aquariums before getting too far along. Many will not take in sharks from individuals.
Thank you for making this point.

fishkid6692
03/29/2008, 07:43 PM
yes thanks for that info! i will contact them tomorrow! and i also know lfs that will buy them.

reefergeorge
03/29/2008, 08:06 PM
Brown banded sharks are a dime a dozen. Most aquariums will not take them, and most people don't have a 500+ gallon aquarium to take care of them their whole life. Before you go hatching a bunch more. Find out what you are going to do with them.
Fwiw. My lfs sells them for $59 so don't expect more than $30 for him.

fishkid6692
03/29/2008, 08:14 PM
i will. he just ate his first meal!!! i fed him a piece of silverside and he just sucked it up!

DazedandConfuse
03/29/2008, 08:30 PM
I've always wanted a shark; BUT I know I would never be able to give it the tank it needs.
Good luck with him/her! I must admit I'm just a bit envious.

t5Nitro
03/29/2008, 09:01 PM
You should get around a 300 gallon pool type of thing instead of a 180 gallon. Sharks like rounded tanks also so they can keep swimming in circles without having to turn around on a corner. 180 is too small anyway. Just a thought. Good luck with your shark and it's cool to know he ate! :)

fishkid6692
03/30/2008, 04:17 AM
bump......any more tips or advice?

kmf507
03/30/2008, 09:59 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12205462#post12205462 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishkid6692
i need to know your expierience with black banded cat shark babies!!!!! i hatched the egg but i know that was the easy part. now i have to get it to eat! how long should i wait to try and feed it? what should i use to entice it to eat? any other pointers or advice would be GREATLY appreciated! thanks in advance!

You SHOULD know these answers before even considering a shark egg.

Not to be harsh but this seems pretty haphazard. You are "planning" on an tank upgrade (to a size still too small), but haven't got to it yet, despite having a shark egg for 3.5 months. You are planning to hatch many more and simply sell them off, give them to an aquarium, but haven't checked yet as to who will take them.

Good luck to you, but please research a little more before your next one.

fishkid6692
03/30/2008, 02:20 PM
i have heard from many people that 180g is the minimum tank size. and i decided not to get more but i am going to keep this one. i got him to eat now but i just want to know some tips on things i should look out for and that kind of stuff. and i am getting the tank next week. it's not really a "planning stage" it's more of a building stage. it will be done in about a month.

tapwater
03/30/2008, 05:50 PM
I would say he is a brittle star. Oh and don't freak out when he looses a leg or two!

ledford1
03/30/2008, 07:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12213350#post12213350 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tapwater
Oh and don't freak out when he looses a leg or two!
... But be sure to freak out when you see a shark with legs.

:D

fishkid6692
03/30/2008, 07:45 PM
lol how did brittle star get into this?

jamest0o0
03/30/2008, 08:20 PM
I was wondering the same thing lol.... off topic, but just wanted to tell you fishkid... I got the jawfish and he is doing great!....anyway GL with the sharks!!!

fishkid6692
03/30/2008, 08:35 PM
thanks! and GL with the bluespot!

SSpiro
03/31/2008, 05:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12210333#post12210333 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kmf507
You SHOULD know these answers before even considering a shark egg.

Not to be harsh but this seems pretty haphazard. You are "planning" on an tank upgrade (to a size still too small), but haven't got to it yet, despite having a shark egg for 3.5 months. You are planning to hatch many more and simply sell them off, give them to an aquarium, but haven't checked yet as to who will take them.

Good luck to you, but please research a little more before your next one.

Beat me to it..

I'm a noob.. but jesus dude. Shouldn't you have researched the simple things like hatching and feeding BEFORE buying the egg? Just a thought. I would have thought that you would have read what to do before the purchase.. but thats just me.

Chago09
03/31/2008, 06:44 AM
either way reading or not, I serioulsy don't agree with puting sharks in a tank in the first place. Whoever told you a 180 is a minimum is a retard, sorry to tell you that. People on these sites go nuts if you put a tang in anything less than a 100 and your gonna tell me a 3 foot shark will be fine in a 180??? I don't even think a 500 gallon is enough. Unless you have something like 1000+ gallons with a large round footprint, then I don't think its cool keeping a shark. I'm not attacking the Original Pster although anyone and everyone who owns a shark and does not give it the proper room. Like dude serioulsy even keeping the tiny little fish we keep is kinda cruel let alone a damn shark.

BeesGoneWild
03/31/2008, 07:45 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12216871#post12216871 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chago09
either way reading or not, I serioulsy don't agree with puting sharks in a tank in the first place. Whoever told you a 180 is a minimum is a retard, sorry to tell you that. People on these sites go nuts if you put a tang in anything less than a 100 and your gonna tell me a 3 foot shark will be fine in a 180??? I don't even think a 500 gallon is enough. Unless you have something like 1000+ gallons with a large round footprint, then I don't think its cool keeping a shark. I'm not attacking the Original Pster although anyone and everyone who owns a shark and does not give it the proper room. Like dude serioulsy even keeping the tiny little fish we keep is kinda cruel let alone a damn shark.

ill have to agree, sharks belong in the ocean not in our tanks. Unless this shark goes to a public aquarium, he will lead a sad life.

fishkid6692
03/31/2008, 08:08 AM
i will be talking to the aquariums in my area and see if they can take it once it gets big. but for when it's a baby i think it will be ok in a 180. and i know i should've read about what to feed it and everything before i got it but i got this when i didn't know what i was doing and just wanted to buy what i wanted. i wasn't even part of this site yet. but i have learned a lot since and i want to give it the best home possible and i am realizing that is not with me. i will start looking for a home very soon.

Chago09
03/31/2008, 11:55 AM
fishkid again I want to be clear I am not attacking you, you are already be responsible by just being here asking the questions. But like you just said it would be best to perhaps enjoy him for a few months but look for someone to take him asap because serioulsy unless you have a lot of money to set up a huge system you would only be owning a german sheppard and keeping him in his kennel for life. Don't worry we have all made those impulse buys. If anyone says they haven't then they are a liar because they wouldn't be on this site researching if they didn't.

Take some cool pics perhaps a cool video and then send him off to a better home. At least you have pics and videos and you have the bragging rights of saying you once hatched a shark and raised him to health before sending him off to the right home. That would be a much better story then ya here's my shark that died in my tank because it was stressed to death.

otrlynn
03/31/2008, 04:39 PM
Chago09, very nicely said! Good way to look at the situation.

Macimage
03/31/2008, 08:06 PM
lol i wish i had it on video! but the next eggs i hatch i will try to get a video of them! i plan to set up a 40g breeder and hatch all diff. types of sharks and then i will just donate them to my local aqauriums. i have 2 in my area. i just love watching them hatch and i think there so cool! i may keep this one but it's undecided at this point. any ideas where i can get more shark eggs? and not just banded shark eggs... every kind you can find! any info would be great!

I hope you find this one a great home and that you reconsider your plan to hatch more shark eggs.

Thanks for the great photos.
Joyce

Jenga
04/01/2008, 02:17 AM
By the way..where did you buy this sharks egg?

fishkid6692
04/01/2008, 08:14 AM
i think i know someone that will take him in his 1000g tank.

techreef
04/01/2008, 09:20 AM
kudos to fishkid for trying to improve this shark's situation, and kudos to all the voices of reason on this thread that kindly offered corrections and suggestions as to how to best care for the fish. enough of the "XX police" posts! if posters were corrected this way instead of getting flamed, we'd have more educated and caring hobbiests into reefing. yeah, it's frustrating to read threads of people buying first, learning second, but hey, let's all try to educate each other and change that behavior, not blow our stacks. RC=one happy family. ;)

Tswifty
04/01/2008, 09:39 AM
Ahhhhhhhh-greed :D

jakaufman
04/01/2008, 10:32 AM
very cool. i would also just say that i know i volunteered at an aquarium and they frequently get people trying to dump off their sharks which get too big and very rarely, if ever, take them

id definitely not hatch any more yet!

papagimp
04/01/2008, 11:21 AM
180g is the minimum for a small juvinile specimen, for a full grown, not going to cut it at all. If you went with a smaller species, such as an austrailian marbled, may be able to get by with a 180-250g tank, but for a bamboo, nope. Consider the full grown size of that type of shark and the demensions of the tank itself, common sense should come into play there.

suzimcmullen
04/01/2008, 12:12 PM
Is there a program for legally introducing it back into the wild? Where do these eggs come from and why are they being sold since housing is such an issue?

Wow. Here in Missouri they are trying to adopt some sort of new bill requiring a lot of licenses for having anything considered wildlife. But the kicker is they are calling all birds, including parakeets and canaries wildlife! There is no way in heck I'm going to march down to some city government and tell them I own a parakeet. That's way too much government and they can kiss my fanny. Why is it our governments can never draw the line in the right place? We have people making pets of sharks on one end and the government isn't stopping it. But they want to regulate parakeets?!

Suzi

iraqiwmd
04/01/2008, 01:05 PM
first off congrats on the hatching of your shark...i just went through the experience myself....its quite a feeling when you walk in the door and see this weird thing swimming around in your tank then realize that its your new shark! in regards to them eating, live food is the best thing for them...some sharks will simply not eat and allow themselves to starve to death, its really a hit or miss with them. i used shark formula myself to entice mine to eat and i used low light settings when enticing because they are cautious of light so i tried to make him more comfortable. only problem is that as soon as i got him to eat my lion fish, who had just gotten over an air bladder infection and hadent eaten in 2 weeks, saw a nice meal on the sand and ate my baby shark!!!! i was so mad. but my lion shark was almost a foot long so i don't think you have to worry about that... in regards to all the nay sayers who complain about the size of your tank poo on them...they are all just hippies who complain about killing fish while munching on a tuna sandwich! iv seen sharks live in 70 gallon tanks just fine... if you get a 180 your shark will live for YEARS without feeling the least bit cramped...he has never known the ocean so what does he care? good luck man and enjoy

Kreeger1
04/01/2008, 01:10 PM
Dude, your tank is to to to small, poor shark. I doubt it will last a month while your 180...still to small is getting set up

suzimcmullen
04/01/2008, 01:12 PM
I think if you are going to say that you should have to camp in your bathroom for just one week. have someone take your meals to you and don't leave for a whole week. If you still feel that way then go for it. Have all the big fish in little tanks you want.

Suzi

kmf507
04/01/2008, 01:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12228367#post12228367 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by iraqiwmd
... in regards to all the nay sayers who complain about the size of your tank poo on them...they are all just hippies who complain about killing fish while munching on a tuna sandwich! iv seen sharks live in 70 gallon tanks just fine... if you get a 180 your shark will live for YEARS without feeling the least bit cramped...he has never known the ocean so what does he care? good luck man and enjoy

Ah, you are an inspiration to us all. The shark hasn't known the ocean, so you know he won't feel cramped. Good logic. Following that train of though, I've decided to raise my son in a closet. He has never known the outdoors, so he'll feel fine. Plus, think of the money we'll save!

Man, I am about the farthest thing from a hippy. Actually wanting an animal to live comfortably is quite different from eating granola and torching SUV dealerships.

iraqiwmd
04/01/2008, 01:28 PM
i don't see why it is so hard for all you hypocritical hippies to understand! lol fish are here for MY enjoyment! let me say it again so you really hear me...fish...are...here...for... MY enjoyment... if i cared one lick about the overall happiness of my fish i would put them in the ocean and never touch them...no fish will every be as happy in a tank as in the ocean but that just sucks for them and they should have put themselves at the top of the food chain if they wanted something different...if a fish dies i worry about the money, if he gets sick i am concerned about the time...i never care about the moral integrity of the fish...they EAT each other for petes sake you think THEY care about it? that little shark will be happier for years in that 180 gallon tank that he would have been had he been attacked by natural predators in the ocean so if ANYTHING good job man on doing your shark a favor and putting him in a "tiny" tank. sometimes you tofu farting fairies just amaze me at how simply ignorant your thinking can be...leave the kid alone...y'all attacked me about the same thing a little while ago and i dont think my shark ever felt cramped in my 120...because he got eaten before he out grew the tank lol...its life crap happens just enjoy the fish, its WHY God put them on this planet

suzimcmullen
04/01/2008, 01:32 PM
True, but there are many stories in the bible that tell us to treat our beast right. God doesn't want us to torture them.

Suzi

mhurley
04/01/2008, 01:39 PM
iraqiwmd,

Exactly how many user names do you think you need?
And please tell me which ones I can remove...or I'll remove them all.

And please, tone your attitude down.

fishkid6692
04/01/2008, 01:54 PM
i'm sort of siding with both sides of the argument. i know the shark shouldn't be in a very small tank because it won't be happy. and when i keep a tank i want the fish to be as happy as possible! and people still keep bashing me but i am in the process of finding a home for the shark now. but in some ways i see where iraqiwmd is coming from. if the shark hatched in the wild he most likely would've been eaten. i bought this shark egg when i was just getting into the hobby and i just wanted what i wanted and didn't know any better. everyone has made mistakes when first starting out. i'm only 14 years old!

WinnipegDragon
04/01/2008, 02:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12228367#post12228367 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by iraqiwmd
in regards to all the nay sayers who complain about the size of your tank poo on them...they are all just hippies who complain about killing fish while munching on a tuna sandwich!

Yeah, actually I think the tank is too small, and I'm a vegetarian.

But you know, generalizations are fun and accurate, right?

macchicks
04/01/2008, 02:48 PM
There was a shark egg in petland a few weeks ago. It looked like they had used a veggie clip to hang it inside the tank.

buford
04/01/2008, 03:19 PM
When I hatched out my shark it took about 7-10 days before it would eat. I finally got it to eat some small chunks of shrimp. When I asked the same question I was told to get live white feeder shrimp. Hope this helps!
Chris

fishkid6692
04/01/2008, 04:48 PM
i got my shark to eat the first day it hatched. about 3 hours after it hatched actually.

Chibils
04/01/2008, 05:04 PM
Good luck.

suzimcmullen
04/02/2008, 12:11 PM
OMG...14 :) It's wonderful that you are taking interest in animal science at this age and working hard to take care of this shark.

I also agree with you that these animals usually don't even have a great chance of a long life in the wild. So you make a good point there. BUT, until people stop responding to the LFS that want to sell these eggs, the greedy people will keep doing it.

I hope you do find a home or that you are able to keep it in the 180 until it's cramped. Also, consider talking to the big chinese restaraunt owners. Many of them love to have fish and many of them have the money to create giant tanks. There was a place I read about in Kansas someplace, not a restaurant I don't believe, but nether-the-less, they had a 3000 gallon tank! I can't even imagine! One never knows what the solution really is.

I'll be really honest here. I might want to do this exact thing someday as a science project for my homeschooling. I could create a huge outdoor pond and heat the water. My husband has been wanting a pond someday. Even the part about finding the shark a home is a learning experience as you are well finding out. The eggs are out there and just because some people do have a conscience about this doesn't mean they will all just disappear. So yeah, I'm conflicted on the subject.

Suzi

Suzi

Chago09
04/02/2008, 12:43 PM
fishkid I'm not flaming you at all. I am jelious that you actually got to hatch the shark egg and have it right now. I am just saying its not right to keep it in a small tank when it won't be able tomove. That iraqi **** head is a moron. I am not an animal activist believe you me, 4 rifles, 2 shotguns, 1 bow and a garage full of fishing rods proves that. Although when I hunt or fish I kill the animal quickly and then I take that animal to a butcher shop so that I can eat the animal. I am a meat eater like crazy. Do I feel bad for killing any animal NO!, as a matter of fact if I was hungry enough I wouldn't have a problem with killing and eating annoying 16 year olds like iraqi. Although I don't believe in letting an animal or any living thing suffer. I have shot dear in a bad place where the animal was bleeding to death. I end the misery as soon as I can find the animal. Some of you are probably saying this guy is barbaric, well don't think your burger or chicken breast had a much better death. Although me killing an animal right away compared to me watching it stew in its own **** in a small tank where it can barely turn, is just cruel.

Not to mention a shark can't hide in the rock work like some big fish do. No No a shark must keep moving to breathe. Most children like iraqi who don't know their head apart from their *** don't even know that a sharks gills do not work like a regular fish. A shark must be moving to breathe. You literally can drown a shark, by simply holding him still. If a shark can't swim comfortably and a nice pace he will not be able to breathe properly. Tape half your mouth shut and go for a run, let me know how you feel.

Oh ya and by the way I'm a real hippy. I drive a Nissan Pathfinder, god only knows how many animals I have shot and eaten. Morons like iraqi are why certain species of animals are illegal to own and certain animals are illegal. Pitbulls are banned in the province of Ontario because muts like iraqi own them. Now a pitbull is a bad dog, although the real dog in the family is the one that can't take care of a pitbull.

Enough said

fishkid6692
04/02/2008, 01:00 PM
well actually I don' t believe banded cat sharks need to keep swimming to breathe. My shark swims around the tank every once in a while but most of the time he rests on the bottom. Only reef sharks and other free swimming sharks need to keep swimming to breathe.

Chago09
04/02/2008, 01:11 PM
either way 3-4 feet of animal don't belong is a 6' x 2' box, sorry man I can't agree with it.

papagimp
04/02/2008, 01:27 PM
fish kid, your right, catsharks are a benthic species and unlike the requiem sharks, don't need to swim constantly to breath. Heck, I"m not even sure if all requiem sharks need to either. btw, several species of catsharks are reef sharks :D

Overall though, I agree with chango09 last comment. Just do the best you can with what ya got, hopefully he'll be happy in the long run.

btw, just for the record, too awesome that your shark hatched, I"m so jealeous. Can't wait to finish up our shark tank and get it stocked!

fishkid6692
04/02/2008, 02:36 PM
I won't be keeping the shark. I am giving to someone with a 1000g shark tank. I think it will be happy there.