PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever repaired their powerhead?

inachu
03/30/2008, 09:25 AM
Or just go out and buy a new one?

Michael
03/30/2008, 10:18 AM
all the power heads i have seen are usually sealed, the exception is koralias and tunzs where you can clean parts, but if you have afaulty powerhead then get rid of it if it is not obvious what the problem is, electricity and water are leathal combinations

DNickell
03/30/2008, 10:42 AM
I have taken them apart and cleaned them good with warm water, then put them back together.

Sometimes that gives you a good as new powerhead; sometimes it gives you a very weak, but working powerhead (I have one I use in a bucket to mix up salt water); and sometimes it does nothing at all.

I'm not sure taking it apart, cleaning it, and putting it together again is really "repairing" anything--but it's amazing how often it works.

AZDesertRat
03/30/2008, 11:19 AM
No sure what you mean by repaired but you can buy replacement impeller/magnet assemblies and thats about it.
Cleaning is important as they tend to get both biological fouling as well as calcium buiuldup inside between the magnet and motor housing. A good soaking in straight distilled white vinegar will have them looking and functioning like new in most cases. Take the powerhead completely apart and soak everything that way so it gets a chance to clean all down inside. A quick rinse in water and they are ready to go.

snorvich
03/30/2008, 12:20 PM
Great advice. When reassembled I run them in vinegar then rinse. (Tunze)