PDA

View Full Version : Pearling zoanthids? (ie zoas emitting gas bubbles)

Revision17
03/30/2008, 02:27 PM
In planted tanks, there's a thing called "Pearling" where plants super saturate the water with oxygen bubbles form on the leaves.

So, I've got a 10 gallon nano reef with some zoanthids, mushrooms and macroalgae. Normally it has a 28 water 50/50 PC over it. Just to see what would happen, I put 2 24 watt T-5s (24" long, so some of the light isn't going into the tank) above it for 4 hours yesturday, and all day today.

Yesturday it seemed to make quite a difference, polyps were open more, and the discosoma mushrooms were fully expanded for the first time in quite awhile.

Today I've had it on the tank for about 6 hours, and my chaeto, calupera, and micro algae are pearling. So I thought "cool". Then I saw one of the types of my zoanthids start to pearl.. so I thought "hmmm.. could this be bad?".

Has anyone else seen this occur? Are my zoas in any danger of maybe becoming super saturated with oxygen or something (however they look healthier today than ever!)?

MUCHO REEF
03/31/2008, 06:56 AM
I don't think the zoas are emitting it. It may be a result more so of the enviroment you are keeping them in that's causing it. How old is the tank? The oxygen bubbles can also be a early signs of dinoflagellates which is very common in new systems or aquariums that are unstable biologically.

650-IS350
03/31/2008, 12:14 PM
Just hope its not real Dino's. That thing took out my tank twice.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-11/rhf/index.php

MUCHO REEF
03/31/2008, 01:15 PM
Sure sounds like it. I hope I'm wrong though. If gone uncheck, it's a killer.

Revision17
03/31/2008, 05:59 PM
Well, I can't really see anything which resembles dinos.

On some of the lower polyps where I can see the... stems.. I can see oxygen bubbles on the polp. So I think the bubbles are either coming from the polyp or something living directly on the polyp.

james37128
04/03/2008, 05:53 AM
Not to hijack the thread but if this is happening in my fuge on my cheato that means good right? I am new to the fuge scene.

MinibowMatt
04/03/2008, 06:14 AM
Could be microbubbles from your pumps/returns collecting on the corals?

If it is Dino's or you even think it could be, your best bet is to slow your lighting schedule down ASAP. IME, it helps to stop an outbreak before it gets bad. Keep up your water quality and WC's, keep the fuge strong, and siphon them out every day..

On my tanks, I black them out for 48hours when I have seen any sign of them.