PDA

View Full Version : Help

McLaughlin4
03/30/2008, 09:28 PM
Anyone know how to drop your PH after a KALK overdose ? Vinigar ? I think it is called Ca precipitation? I was topping off thru my GEO Kalk reactor and while it was running I took the garage to the curb came back in and everything was cloudy. It's getting better but my PH is thru the roof its got to be in the ('s I would guess my test only goes up to 8 . Any ideas . It is only on the reef tank which is about 150 gallons of water with everything.Thanks and wish me luck

bertoni
03/30/2008, 09:34 PM
The best approach is seltzer water. Vinegar can cause bacterial blooms. How high does your test kit measure? 8.8? I wouldn't dose anything unless the pH were above 8.6 or so. The pH will drop on its own with aeration, in any case.

McLaughlin4
03/30/2008, 09:48 PM
yea sorry I was typing to fast I would say my PH is come down already I just test it and it was maybe 8.7-8.8 . The tank is slowly clearing andit lookslike the fish are all alive a little freakedout looking but alive . I'm running everything through filter socks and wet skimming and it seems to be pulling alot from the water ccolumn.. stay tuned

bertoni
03/30/2008, 09:50 PM
Well, often tanks pull through lime overdoses without major issues. I'll hope for the best.

McLaughlin4
03/30/2008, 10:10 PM
Thanks Jon

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/31/2008, 04:56 AM
I discuss how to deal with limewater overdoses here:

High pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-03/rhf/index.htm

and

What is that Precipitate in My Reef Aquarium?
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-07/rhf/index.htm

from the second one:

The following important points should help in dealing with a limewater overdose:

1. Don't panic! These overdoses do not usually cause a tank to crash.

2. The primary concern is pH. If the pH is 8.6 or lower, you need not do anything. If the pH is above 8.6, then reducing the pH is the priority. Direct addition of vinegar or soda water is a good way to accomplish this goal. Either one mL of distilled white vinegar, or six mL of soda water, per gallon of tank water will give an initial pH drop of about 0.3 pH units. Add either to a high flow area that is away from organisms (e.g., a sump).

3. Do not bother to measure calcium or alkalinity while the tank is cloudy. The solid calcium carbonate particles will dissolve in an alkalinity test, and all of the carbonate in them will be counted as if it were in solution and part of "alkalinity." The same may happen to some extent with calcium tests. Wait until the water clears, and at that point, alkalinity is more likely to be low than high. Calcium will likely be mostly unchanged.

4. The particles themselves will typically settle out and disappear from view over a period of 1-4 days. They do not appear to cause long term detrimental effects to tank organisms.

5. Water changes are not necessarily beneficial or needed in response to a limewater overdose.

McLaughlin4
03/31/2008, 07:36 AM
Thanks Randy , Looks like I caught it quick enough to sidestep any major loss. So much for people thinking nothing bad can come from running your top off thru a Geo Kalk Reactor . Thanks for the info . James

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/31/2008, 08:27 AM
You're welcome.

Happy Reefing. :)