PDA

View Full Version : Cleaner Shrimp And Clam

an411
03/30/2008, 10:17 PM
Should i be worried that my cleaner shrimp are picking at my clam? The lights are off and the clam is closed. it looks like that are trying to pry it open.I am not sure if they are just cleaning it or trying to destroy it?

BeesGoneWild
03/30/2008, 10:19 PM
I wouldnt worry about it all that much i have never heard of a cleaner shrimp attacking a clam unless the clam is already dead.

Scoobaman17
03/30/2008, 10:29 PM
I had two giant derasa clams that started getting attacked my my two cleaner shrimps the day I bought my second cleaner shrimp. Set a trap, removed the shrimps, derasa clams were fine.

I still don't know why my cleaners started doing it but I think taking the shrimps out saved the clams.

ImprezaSTi
03/30/2008, 10:29 PM
Despite the shrimp, I don't think even you can pry it open.

Scoobaman17
03/30/2008, 10:37 PM
True, but the shrimps stressed my clams out for a few days, I don't think they would have stopped unless I removed them. They didn't touch my maximas or croceas........

an411
03/31/2008, 06:32 AM
I am not sure but it looks like the shrimp got to the clam I dont think that it was dead or anything unless this is normal I looked in the tank this morning and the clam looks like half of the body in the shell was missing. and the shell was slightly open. did they eat the clam?

Puffdragon
03/31/2008, 07:07 AM
Good chance the clam was dead or dying. The only things my cleaners bother are corals or anemones I have fed meaty food.

an411
03/31/2008, 07:11 AM
Ya after doing a little research this morning and seeing what that clam looked like I think that it did die and that the shrimp were having a feast. it looked fine last night before going to bed it was closed right after the lights went off but looked like half the clam was gone when I woke up.

BeesGoneWild
03/31/2008, 07:39 AM
wow, sorry to hear about your clam, that is very unfortunate. At lease the shrimps and cuc will make a quick meal of him.

an411
03/31/2008, 07:45 AM
yeah no joke. I don't know what went wrong I mean my water parameters are all good. and it seemed fine last night. I am starting to wonder if there was something wrong with him to begin with or I didnt acclimate him good enough? I am just wondering if I should bother getting another one or maybe I should wait. I really wanted to get a clam i think they make a great addition to a tank. I didnt think that maximas were that difficult to take care of. I have proper lighting and it was big enough were it didn't have to be fed.