PDA

View Full Version : Magnesium question

yodatwo
03/30/2008, 10:27 PM
Hello,

I have a pretty new tank--only one month of so old. LR has been cycled for 2 weeks and i just bought my first fish.

Most of my levels seem solid, except my magnesium seems way off. I tested 3 times today and each time got a different result. First time I got 540, second time 420, last time 360.

Could the levels really be that low? I bought the testing kit today from my LFS and it's made by Sera. What are the side effects of having such low magnesium? Is it easy to fix?

Here are the rest of my levels:

ammonia: 0
phosphate: 0
nitrate 5-10
ph: 8.3
KH Alkalinity: 9
Calcium: 300 (started adding calcium today to target 450)
salinity: 1.026

thanks!

Boomer
03/30/2008, 10:36 PM
I doubt it is that low and more than likely is a testing error on your part. No salt has ever tested that low. Try another test, read the instructions carefully and slowly to make sure you do it EXACTLY as stated. Also, try to take it back to the LFS and have them try it and check it against another kit there.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/31/2008, 04:53 AM
It does sound like a testing problem. I'm also concerned about the calcium measurement.

Are you adding anything at all to the tank? pH buffers?

What salt mix are you using?

yodatwo
03/31/2008, 09:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12216482#post12216482 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley
It does sound like a testing problem. I'm also concerned about the calcium measurement.

Are you adding anything at all to the tank? pH buffers?

What salt mix are you using?

Thanks for the response!

I'm using Instant Ocean Salt and yesterday I started adding Seachem's Reef Advantage Calcium. I plan on following the directions and using 2.5 tablespoons twice a week until reaching my goal.

I have Seachem's Reef Builder Carbonate Alkalinity as well. Should I use that when I dose the Advantage Calcium? I'm still a touch confused when to use it.

Thank you SO much.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/31/2008, 10:20 AM
Actually, I'd set the directions aside, and use this calculator to determine the dose of the calcium. Their dose is a maintenance dose. :)

If you need to supplement alkalinity because it drops below your goal, then the Seachem product or just baking soda is a fine way to go.

Reef chemicals calculator
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

yodatwo
03/31/2008, 03:42 PM
thanks randy!

massively appreciate it :)

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/31/2008, 05:15 PM
You're welcome.

Happy Reefing. :)