PDA

View Full Version : should I use silicone around bulkhead?

scaast
03/31/2008, 12:13 AM
my bulkheads are seeping water...I am thinking about using a bead of silicone around the fittings to sure things up. Does anyone else do this?

SeanT
03/31/2008, 12:18 AM
Hi,
Did you overtighten the bulkhead perchance?
What side did you put the gasket on...inside or out?
Doing these two steps correct with a little waterproof grease or vaseline should seal it up right.

Silicone to stop a bulkhead leak should be one of the last resorts but if you do go the silicone route , be sure to drain the tank below the bulkhead before applying the silicone and let it cure...optimum is 24 hours.
If you dont let is cure for several hours, I have found the water will just push through it.

hth,
Sean

scaast
03/31/2008, 12:21 AM
I didn't tighten too much...hand tight. The gasket is inside. Where can I get waterproof grease that is reef safe?

SeanT
03/31/2008, 12:44 AM
It is called Plumbmaster Silicone Grease at Home Depot.
It is in the bathroom section.
But Vaseline petroleum jelly works just as well,

I would disassemble the bulkhead.
Then clean the glass on both sides with rubbing alcohol, add the vaseline to the gasket where it meets the tank, retighten it all by hand, making sure the gasket doesn't get pushed through the hole at all.
Then give it a 1/2 turn with a wrench, once again making the gasket stays out of the hole.

Sean

morino
03/31/2008, 04:59 AM
i have noticed that many people have problem with bulkhead leaking and wanted to say that important thing is to put the black ruber gasket in inner side and other plastic out.
plastic gasket we use only not to break the glass so the force can spread on glass.and the inner gasket(rubber)is used to secure the tank leak.
if you change their place you might have this problem so take care about this.

P.s. sorry for bad english

jh2pizza
03/31/2008, 05:14 AM
I would not run the chance with putting anything Petroleum based at all anywhere near the tank. Silicone grease would be best. Also, if they are old gaskets, you can buy just the gasket replacement from Savko.com.

gpodio
03/31/2008, 07:23 AM
Silicon grease, a clean surface and a healthy gasket should be all you ever need...

BeanAnimal
03/31/2008, 07:30 AM
There is no need to use silicone sealant or silicone grease if the bulkhead is installed properly.

The gasket MUST always go between the FLANGE and the tank wall, NEVER between the NUT and the tank wall.

The bulkhead nut should be hand tight + 1/2 to 1 turn. A large pair of channel locks or a bulkhead wrench should be used.

wolf pup
03/31/2008, 08:00 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12217086#post12217086 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BeanAnimal
There is no need to use silicone sealant or silicone grease if the bulkhead is installed properly.

The gasket MUST always go between the FLANGE and the tank wall, NEVER between the NUT and the tank wall.

The bulkhead nut should be hand tight + 1/2 to 1 turn. A large pair of channel locks or a bulkhead wrench should be used.

I have to 2nd this. I have never in 15 years used anything other than the gasket that came with the bulkhead. Have yet to have a leak. I have also put the flange on the inside (water side) and outside (dry side) with no difference. Flange and gasket always together. Now my luck with unions is much different.

BeanAnimal
03/31/2008, 08:01 AM
Yup...

the flange can go inside or outside. No matter what, the gasket goes between the flange and tank.

gpodio
03/31/2008, 10:05 AM
Same here, the silicon lubricant can help with older gaskets, just like it's used to lubricate o-rings and extend their lifespan. Not a necessity but can be used... it can also help avoid deformation of the gasket in case the whole bulkhead turns during tightening... I rarely use it but have done so on a couple occasions when a new gasket was not availble.

8BALL_99
03/31/2008, 10:56 AM
I've always had good look with wetting the Rubber Gasket before I install the bulkhead.. Not sure why it matters. I also never use anything but the gasket. I do use the silicone grease on Orings though.. I used vaseline on my Oceans motions once when I ran out of the silicone Grease.. I never had a problem, but I'm sure the silicone is much safer.

One thing to check is make sure your plumbing isn't putting pressure on yoru bulkhead. Even if a bulkhead is installed correct if your plumbing isn't it can cause a leak.

jessicalynn1086
03/31/2008, 11:13 AM
bulkheads do not need anything