PDA

View Full Version : Tank Normal or Crazy?

Vapour1ze
03/31/2008, 12:51 AM
Ok so heres my problem, tank got up and running about a month ago, I added my Live Sand let it run for about a week, added my Live Rock, let it run for about 2 weeks, Rock was pulled from established tank so it cycled fairly quick, anyways currently over the past few days, it happened like this

1st day - One piece of my LR developed a really brown coat over it all that used to be white, snails are sorta taking care of it, I only have 2 turbos and its a 29g tank, I don't know how many I need...

2nd day - Sand started to look like it was getting a brownish/greenish tint over it, some nasty stuff

Today (over the past few days) (really noticed today) Green all over my glass, Mag-Float took care of most of it, but theres a thin green developing on the sides and front of my tank, Not sure what it is, my hair algae is kinda getting worse, as I don't know how to rid this, ...

And also my current live stock is

-2 Turbos one HUGE and the other about a 1/2 in, I think the big one is a Mexican Snail or whatever they're called. Its like 3 in. Circumfrance, 1 peppermint, and 1 false percula, and 3 blue leg crabs,

Now my levels are all still very good I think,,

Nitrate - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Calcium - 420-430ppm
Ammonia - 0ppm
Temp 78-79F

And this is all in a 29g, I'm not sure what to do,

also for filtration I'm only using a HOB PowerFilter and 1 Powerhead, Hydor Kali 1, I'm ordering eathier a WetDry or a custom Sump to work with but this won't be in until about another 2-3 weeks, is this my problem? I'm not sure where to go from here. Thanks in advance.

tkeracer619
03/31/2008, 04:12 AM
Its normal. Your clean up crew needs some additions.

I would add several more astrae and cerith snails. In the range of 20+

Skip the wet dry and go with a sump. A skimmer would also be a good choice.

Vapour1ze
03/31/2008, 11:02 AM
bump, ok cool.... those snails should work ok then??? add about 20 then? like 10 of each or what? also. I found this, Rapids Pro, comes with overflow, and sump with skimmer, should work ok its like 700gph, and it cant backup, with powerloss... its around 250$,,, so i think ill be ordering that. :-)

Michael
03/31/2008, 11:09 AM
take no notice of the 0 nitrate readings, the algae in your tank is using all that up, you have nitrates but the algae makes it look invisible, i had it to start with it does sort itself out, the guy answering before me mentioned a skimmer, hes right and i would keep the water changes up with good quality water and with the additional cuc things will improve