PDA

View Full Version : Why does the Impeller get stuck in skimmer pump

dooleyb
03/31/2008, 07:25 AM
I have a Euroreef es-52 skimmer with a Sedra 3500 pump. The impeller needle get stuck and I have to remove it with pliers. What does this mean? Is the impeller bad or is the pump bad?

Thanks for your feedback.

neepsync
03/31/2008, 08:02 AM
The problem might be calcium build-up on the impeller shaft. If there is hard crusty build-up on it soak it in vinegar for a while to soften the deposits and then scrub it off. There will be times when I unplug a pump and when I go to plug it back in, it wont start up. Its usually due to build-up on the impeller shaft.

dooleyb
03/31/2008, 08:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12217261#post12217261 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by neepsync
The problem might be calcium build-up on the impeller shaft. If there is hard crusty build-up on it soak it in vinegar for a while to soften the deposits and then scrub it off. There will be times when I unplug a pump and when I go to plug it back in, it wont start up. Its usually due to build-up on the impeller shaft.

I have cleaned both the impeller and the pump in vinegar water to remove any calcium buildup. Either the impeller shaft is swollen although I can't see signs or the sides of the pump tunnel is swollen although I cannot see any signs there either. I have two pumps and impellers that are this way. Both are more that 4 years old. I'm to the point that maybe it's time for a new skimmer but just hate to spend the money and find out later that the problem may be a simple fix.

manderx
03/31/2008, 08:35 AM
we should be able to just get you new pumps rather than whole new skimmers.

dooleyb
03/31/2008, 08:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12217475#post12217475 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by manderx
we should be able to just get you new pumps rather than whole new skimmers.

Hi Matt. I'm looking into getting new pumps as well but with the cost of the pump, I might as well pay a little bit more and get he entire skimmer.

inachu
03/31/2008, 10:18 AM
That makes a good question then.
How long do hang on tank skimmer pumps last?

dooleyb
03/31/2008, 11:02 AM
The hang ones should last longer than the in sump ones. The problem with mine is I drip kalk in the same section of the sump where the skimmer is located. Kalk is rough on pumps.