PDA

View Full Version : Coraline growth on base rocks?

Elevate
03/31/2008, 04:42 PM
I have about 25 lbs of base rock that I want to get some coraline started on. I bought some PurpleUp and one of the guys at my LFS told me to just put the rock in a bucket of saltwater with a powerhead and in two weeks.....POOF.....Coraline. Well that is a little far fetched, obviously I need to seed it with some live rock that has coraline on it or at very least scrap some coraline off into it. But what do you guys/gals think about that? How long until I see some growth? Also, how much light do you think it needs? Temperature?

GBE378
03/31/2008, 04:58 PM
I used about 20lb of base rock seeded with 20lb of LR. It took a while for me to see coraline growth on the base rock, but it did cover it. I dont see how you will get the growth on the base rock unless you see it with somthing that already has coraline algae already on it. I think the best way is to just set-up the tank with the base rock and LR and wait. If you tank conditions are good then it will grow.

new_world_disor
03/31/2008, 05:05 PM
my tanks bin up and running bout 2-3 months. i used some * moon rock * for base and fiji LR . coraline has just started to grow on all the rocks. including the base. i was just told to get the water params right. calcium, magnesium etc. and things get to work themselfs.

Elevate
03/31/2008, 05:07 PM
Yeah I think I will just put it in my display and let the go.