PDA

View Full Version : Who used QT"S neways?

SabrinaJean
03/31/2008, 11:03 PM
Tomorrow I will be getting my 2 pink skunks clownfish, and another clown goby. My fist pair of clowns died within 3 days of when I got them. Once I got home from my SF trip, one had a chapped face ( Look up: HELP clown fish has chapped skin FORUM) and then, the next day I spent 60 $$ on medicine, a QT , padds for the meds, a new filter, heater, ect... because I was sure the last of the Twins was going to also have Brooklynella AKA Clown FISH disease.
THEN i set it all up and he died too :(
I now have a QT with 10G of medicine water and I'm thinking about doing everything tonight, mixing water and getting the heater going. DO you recommend using the QT or just putting them in the show tank, which is only 27G? WB

Scoobaman17
03/31/2008, 11:13 PM
Many if not all people on here will agree to using QT tanks.

Jayclem
03/31/2008, 11:24 PM
Go with the QT! i made a huge mistake not using one and ended up losing a most of my fish because all because of one new fish!

kau_cinta_ku
03/31/2008, 11:32 PM
i agree with the QT tank but i don't agree with treating the fish with meds or so forth if the fish don't show signs of having problems. just keep the fish in the QT for a min. of 4-6 weeks and watch him, if he starts to show signs of problems then treat accordinly.

SabrinaJean
03/31/2008, 11:35 PM
is a 4g QT ok to use? Or do u think it is to small?

otrlynn
04/01/2008, 05:40 AM
Four gallons seems too small to keep three fish in for 4 to 6 weeks. However, I agree with all the above responses that it is worth the effort to quarantine new fish. If one of your new fish happens to have ich (which may not be apparent immediately) and you put him in the display tank, you will have the ich parasite in your display and will have to pull all fish out and treat them while the display runs "fish free" for 6 weeks.

Tswifty
04/01/2008, 06:01 AM
you would have to watch water parameters pretty close on a 4gallon QT tank, and change water frequently.

Don't medicate unless you need to... no sense stressing the fish if it is healthy. Also, you may want to try hypo while they are in QT. I've heard of other reefers having good success with this.

Tswifty
04/01/2008, 06:02 AM
also I would throw in some PVC joints so the fish have places to hide