PDA

View Full Version : Clown not hosting :(

memorisa
04/01/2008, 04:37 AM
Hey all,

So I seem to be having bad luck w/ clowns and anemone-

I initially bought a pair of false perculas and a green bubbletip anemone. They were hosting the anemone at the LFS; however they didnt deliver the trio to me for about 3 days. when they came they arrived in separate bags and I am not sure whether it was that or something they did in those 3 days, the clown has not been hosting the anemone not even touching it.

This was about 3 months ago -- so then I bought another pair of false perculas and another anemone. figured at least someone is ought to host one of the anemones. but no i was wrong...

the four clowns decided to form a school chilling on the side of the tank and every now and then swimming around the tank.

Sadly, about 6 weeks ago, I lost 2 clowns. 4 weeks ago, I lost the green bubble tip anemone. And finally 2 weeks ago I lost another percula. So I'm left w/ one false percula and a pink bubble tip anemone. I am not sure which one was hosting it in the LFS but it was definitely being hosted.

I keep waiting for my only clown to get in the anemone. Everyday, I keep saying today is teh day the bugger will get in, but no.

Is there something wrong? Could anyone help me?

Oh just another point - everynow and then I him staring at the anemone from real close, like 1/8 of an inch, but its not touching. He would stare at it for like 15-30 seconds at an end - you can imagine me getting all excited and heartrate increasing - but only to come crashing down when i c him swim away in a nonchalant manner.

PLS ANY INPUT IS MUCH APPRECIATED.

thx in advance,

an411
04/01/2008, 07:12 AM
I would give it some time I have read in a few places that it can sometimes take a while for clown fish to host an anemone

jimfed1
04/01/2008, 07:38 AM
Try a maroon clown. They are what we call in the marine world an "anemone ****", as they will go to most anything

Exeat
04/01/2008, 07:44 AM
Here's a funny story...My three year old daughter wanted a "Nemo" So I set up a small FOWLR tank for her. She wanted an anemone in it. Since it's her tank, I put one of those fake anemones in with soft tentacles that wave in the current. Then I bought a juvi True Perc and put him in the tank. Guess what...the clown is hosting in the imitation anemone.

memorisa
04/01/2008, 09:42 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12225571#post12225571 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by an411
I would give it some time I have read in a few places that it can sometimes take a while for clown fish to host an anemone

can it take upto like 4 months? cuz its almost that much time it has taken. certainly over 3 months

memorisa
04/01/2008, 02:14 PM
i forgot to add:

I read somewhere that the clown before it hosts it waves its tail towards it a little away from it still and just wiggles or something
but my lil bugger just goes at it head first (not touching) just staring at it for a little bit and wanders away

the pink is not his type or something?