PDA

View Full Version : Networking Discussion Thread

AQD_ottawa
04/01/2008, 08:32 AM
Please post your networking topics here to keep the board more informative.

Thanks

rroselavy
04/01/2008, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by boboxx
[B]No I was more thinking of wine (free) or CorossOver (small $) emulator that can run directly in macosx....

Wow. I had no idea such emulators (or should we call this a "simulator") existed. I'll check it out...

The comunication is quite complex and super flexible, Mathias was nice enought to send us some code sniplts and lead us in the right direction. If you are interested in helping out send me a PM :c)

I'd be very interested if I owned a ProfiLux! Half my controller considerations (in lieu of Ethernet/built-in Web service) are based on whether I can interface the device with a microcontroller/device server ;-)

As Michael suggested, I should consider all the things the ProfiLux can do for my tank. If I jump on board, I'll be sure to PM you.

boboxx
04/01/2008, 10:29 AM
Well just did a small test and the instaler desent seem to run but if I copy the application I can have it running... threre would be a bit of tweaking to do but I was able to connect/view/and change some settings :c)

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/161296PC_mac-med.gif

Christian

kidney514
04/01/2008, 10:46 AM
Which emulator are you using?

boboxx
04/01/2008, 10:47 AM
This is on CrossOver 6.2

rroselavy
04/01/2008, 11:22 AM
Well just did a small test and the instaler desent seem to run but if I copy the application I can have it running... threre would be a bit of tweaking to do but I was able to connect/view/and change some settings :c)

Promising. I am sure this has been asked before, but is there an English localization of the software?

AQD_ottawa
04/01/2008, 11:27 AM
Yes everything is in English

I saw the screen shot and just waited for that question.

You can select a variety of langauges, I guess Christian is brushing up on his German today!

boboxx
04/01/2008, 11:49 AM
heheh that's one of the limitation right now, it dosent seem to save the preference... I will look at it more if I have time.

Alll these are issue are with using CrossOvern and not ProfiluxControl...

kidney514
04/01/2008, 01:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12227712#post12227712 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by boboxx
heheh that's one of the limitation right now, it dosent seem to save the preference... I will look at it more if I have time.

Alll these are issue are with using CrossOvern and not ProfiluxControl...

Which version os are you running?

boboxx
04/01/2008, 01:23 PM
mac os 10.5

stephencraig
04/02/2008, 06:53 AM
Is this thread going to be geared towards Mac's only, or is it going to cover Windows also?

Stephen

AQD_ottawa
04/02/2008, 06:57 AM
BOTH

windows
Mac
all things networking
WLAN connectivity
LAN

stephencraig
04/02/2008, 06:43 PM
Great!

Wish I had a mac, but could never justify to myself the extra cost.

Stephen

kidney514
04/02/2008, 06:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12240036#post12240036 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stephencraig
Great!

Stephen
We will eventually corrupt you to get one :P

rroselavy
04/02/2008, 07:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12240036#post12240036 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stephencraig
Great!

Stephen

I know you can pick up sub-$500 PCs, complete with LCD screen and input devices, but when I priced out top of the line tower models (each with the same 3.0GHz Dual Quad-core Intel, virtually the same specs) from Dell and Apple last year, the Macs were over $400 cheaper. Since we can run Mac OSX and Win XP on the Macs, the decision was a no brainer.

For me, the Macs are a great marriage between superb engineering/design, UNIX, and end user applications. I definitely appreciate the ubiquity and general cost effectiveness of Windows (and Linux) solutions, even if I slice my finger open every time I go to upgrade memory in our old PC boxes...Ouch.

kidney514
04/02/2008, 07:39 PM
What port should i remap in order to access my profilux from a distance, just tried 10001 upd and tcp without any success?

kidney514
04/02/2008, 08:57 PM
OK found out 2 thing that might be helpful for others,

1st: Only one connection to the controller can be established at any given time. (was my problem)

2nd only need port 10001 TCP needs to be mapped/redirected no need for UDP.

Hope it helps someone!

stephencraig
04/02/2008, 10:02 PM
I got a 3.0GHz Dual Quad-core Intel Dell XPS desktop for about $1K, but then again, I got an employee discount on it right before I left. As much as I hate Dell, its a real nice system.

Stephen

zoomin
05/16/2008, 09:42 AM
Same problem here - CrossOver 6.2 will not run the installer.

However, Darwine does (and it's free ;).

It has a few issues, most notably the save buttons don't work.

This on Leopard (v10.5).

pjr300
05/16/2008, 10:04 PM
Sounds like theseare all Mac programs. Anyone have an idea about which program(s) us PC users should consider?

rroselavy
05/16/2008, 10:17 PM
Unlike us unprivileged Mac people , you only have to install the Profilux Control software.

You don't have to gloat... ;-)

pjr300
05/17/2008, 06:44 AM
No gloating.... just trying workarounds. You see, PC is not my friend :-)

I want to be able to access my ProfiLux from work. But our IT Police have installed "Policy Access" controls on the base load of my laptop that won't let me install most software.

I have installed a few programs... but I think that if the Setup requires a Registry entry, it abouts the install. And ProfiLux Control is one of those that aborts.

pjr300
05/17/2008, 06:57 AM
Aha! Just got clever and installed Control on a flash drive. Voila! Running on the laptop. Take that, IT police!

Now just have to learn how to use ProfiLux Control remotely.

zoomin
06/07/2008, 02:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12557558#post12557558 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pjr300
Aha! Just got clever and installed Control on a flash drive. Voila! Running on the laptop. Take that, IT police!

Now just have to learn how to use ProfiLux Control remotely.

<rant>

As an "IT Policeman" can I suggest you adjust your attitude :)

Your laptop is locked down because, I assume, it is owned by your employer and if it was not and you were able to install all of your personal programs you could cost the company many, many hours of support time.

For instance, in the process of trying to get your new GHL LAN card to *work* you could inadvertently misconfigure something else.

All well and good on your own, personal computer, but not the one that is company issued and and expected to up and running and helping you do your job, making your employer money, come Monday morning.

A corporate-supplied laptop is a tool to do work with, not a Christmas bonus :)

</rant>

Harry_Fish
06/07/2008, 04:26 PM
As an old IT guy I'd say a lil less coffee.

As for getting the Profilux software running on your Laptop.

Buy the IT guy a Starbucks and a cookie.
He will proably set it up for you and geek out in the process.

swiseman
05/14/2010, 05:54 AM
So have there been any advancements on the Mac Desktop problem? I recently bought a Mac and when I went to the download center I was shocked not to see a Mac Desktop solution.