PDA

View Full Version : Can't keep fish alive

sgerstner
04/01/2008, 10:06 AM
My brother got me a 2.5g nano for Christmas. He cycled the tank for me and got it started. (he is somewhat of an expert, he has a 120g reef) When he finally gave it to me it had live rock, 2 small blue legged hermit crabs, a turbo snail, and a cleaner shrimp in it. My first addition to the tank was a small yellow sea cucumber. I added a purple firefish which jumped out in the first week. I replaced it with a plain firefish which died about a week later. I removed it and let the tank settle for about a week. I got a purple striped dottyback which was alive up until yesterday. I read online that the sea cucumber could possibly poison such a small tank so I removed it and gave it to my brother. About two weeks ago I added a green clown goby which died this morning. I can't seem to keep any fish alive! I have gone through well over $75 in fish in the last 2 months. Please help! I am thinking about getting a 24g Current USA Aquapod tank instead and trying again.

rhunter513
04/01/2008, 10:30 AM
you'll have to list all your tank parameters for anyone to help you. But my opinion is, a 2.5g tank is too small to sustain any fish.

Illuminati
04/01/2008, 10:36 AM
Putting an active fish like a dottyback in a tank like that is like making you live in a closet, not even close to enough room.

My guess for the deaths would be salinity swings due to low water volume and evaporation.
How often do you top off? If you don't answer by saying at least once a day odds are that's it.

Dan Thrash
04/01/2008, 11:11 AM
i think in a 2.5 gallon, you'd be best to stick with the livestock you already have and do not get any fish. how have you acclimated the fish to the tank?

burtbollinger
04/01/2008, 12:52 PM
no fish in a pico...ditch it and go with the 24 first....but only after your not in danger of doing noob stuff.

I wouldnt even attempt a pico and I've been doing this a while...

read read read!

the thread on nano-reef you posted has it right on....

Saltwaterstart
04/01/2008, 02:38 PM
2.5 gallons is definitely too small for any fish.

I would just suggest a small, more interesting invert instead of a fish.

Moonstream
04/01/2008, 06:12 PM
I would get the aquapod, it will be MUCH better, I have had great luck with my ocellaris clowns.

sgerstner
04/01/2008, 06:57 PM
I will go ahead an buy the Current USA Aquapod 24g. Any suggestions of add-ons I should order such as a protein skimmer?

burtbollinger
04/01/2008, 09:49 PM
i recommend you buy and use chemi-pure elite...I run a HOB aqua c remora on mine...I just hang it on the front at night...most other cheap skimmers are junk....

also look into using purigen....

visit some of the beginner start-up threads at nano-reef. com, steelheadr has a good one thats a must read for you. good luck, go slow, dont overstock...get plenty of good live rock.

don't skimp, and try hard not to make noob mistakes.