PDA

View Full Version : water changes without a sump

inachu
04/01/2008, 11:17 AM
do you guys use hot water and try to mix it as same temp?

Or just use cold water mix it and wait 24 hours to let the chlorine out?

I do not want to hurt my tank environment.

D to the P
04/01/2008, 11:21 AM
If you need to do it now, obviously remove the chlorine (next time try to use a better quality water like RO/DI because it will help keep your tank clean!) and mix the salt mix with the water at a temp close to what your tank water is. Ideally you shoud mix the water the day before you do a water change so all the parameters can balance out. You might even consider hooking an air pump up to it to keep the water well oxygenated because salt water is already low in dissolved oxygen.

chimmike
04/01/2008, 11:21 AM
When premixing, I used RO, heated it up and added the salt accordingly. If I needed enough salt for, say, 3 gallons, I'd put 2 in a bucket, take a gallon and heat it, then put enough salt for all 3 gallons in the heated water...then combine in the bucket.

If it was too warm to add to the tank, I'd let it cool for a while before doing so.

FYI, RO water at wal mart is like $0.97/gal look on the label to verify that it is in fact RO, not just distilled or filtered.

seapug
04/01/2008, 11:27 AM
Don't mix hot and cold water to make warm salt water. Adding the hot to the cold can cause precipitation of Calcium (the same process that makes heaters get coated with white crust).

To make your life easier and protect your tank, mix the saltwater in a separate container by using a powerhead and heater. Use RO/DI or distilled water from the grocery store. It is at least better than what comes out of your tap. Let it mix for as long as possible before using it. Letting it mix and warm up overnight is a safe bet.

I have a Brute trashcan to store the water. I add a couple gallons each day so I always have some ready and waiting for my weekly water changes or any emergency.

rbursek
04/01/2008, 11:46 AM
Y0u do not want to use water from your home water heater, many heavy metals in it.

rbursek
04/01/2008, 11:49 AM
If you do not have it yet, get a RO/DI unit, it is the only way to go, go to the sposor forum here, all sell great units, CS, and advice.

inachu
04/01/2008, 11:59 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12227681#post12227681 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rbursek
Y0u do not want to use water from your home water heater, many heavy metals in it.

Wow this IS what I have been doing.

Perhaps this is where the brown algae came from?

I'll buy 15 gallons of premixed RO that is salt ready from the store after work.

D to the P
04/01/2008, 12:44 PM
Good idea. Tap water is generally littered with nitrates and phosphates (whats making that algae grow).