PDA

View Full Version : Echino Bleaching

longra
04/01/2008, 02:56 PM
My echino started bleaching and now only has a few streaks of color and it used to be bright red with blue rings around the polyps. I checked my water parameters and they're all excellent and my other corals (some are SPS) are doing very well. I believe the problem to be lighting.

I have a two-bulb PC, 65w each, one 10k and one actinic. The coral was positioned abut 12" below the lights and set at about a 45 degree angle. What are you opinions. Not enough light or too much light?

Thanks for your help,

JUICE!
04/02/2008, 06:55 AM
I have several of mine little more than 12" away from 400W Metal Halides, so I would mark off too much light.

Is it really bleaching or is the color just fading? I haven't had much luck keeping nice colors under PC lighting......even my zoas and yumas and rhodactis look much better under T5 and MH lighting.

longra
04/02/2008, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the quick response. Yes, I'm sure it's a bleaching event ... I watched it "puff" out the zooxanthalle like it was blowing smoke rings and it quickly turned almost all white. I've been feeding it to keep it alive until I figure out what happened. The only thing I can think of is that I have a lot of flatworms and used Flatworm Exit several weeks ago. The bleaching started a quite a while after that, but progressed quickly.

Any recommendations for its recovery?