PDA

View Full Version : No joke, need help, new frags (by mistake)

buildinboats
04/01/2008, 06:58 PM
I just received a shipment of 4 SPS frags (Prostrata, Acro, Milli)that were destined for someone else. They got the boxes mixed up. I've put them in a QT I had put together a week ago. It's a pretty lame setup. 10 gal with heater, powerhead and back mounted AquaClear 30 - (10-30 Gallon - 150 GPH) power filter with just the foam block in it. Half of the water in the tank came from the DT, the other half was new RC. The lighting is a clip-on with the Home Depot Daylight CF 6500k 75 watt equivalent.

My DT is on the mend from years of neglect. I am very happy with the difference between then and now, but I'm not done with my planned upgrades. It's a long, slow recovery. Here's some of the water parameters:

pH: 8.3-8.4
Spec. gravity: 1.026
Temp: 79F
Nitrate: 3.3
Phosphate: 0.075
Calcium: 370
Magnesium: 1280
Alkalinity: 8.9 dkh

I don't trust my skills enough to brazenly put the frags in the DT. The first time I added frags (Montis) a few months ago all but one suffered RTN. I have since bumped up the alk, mg and ca to where it is now and finally got my kalk reactor working right. I also replaced my skimmer with the Deltec and the venerable VHO lighting with a Solaris I4.

The mail order shop said to keep the frags (no charge) so I see my choices as this:

1)Call an acquaintance who is tied in with a local reef club. He may be able to find these pieces a better home.

2)Have this same person help me pack these up and ship them to their rightful owner.

3)Because they are probably stressed from shipping I could move them to my DT to see if they perk up a bit and then decide what to do with them.

4)Leave them in QT under the Home Depot light, changing a few gallons of water every other day for a week or two to see if they survive and then do step 3 above.

I am worried about AEFW and red bugs, but I do not have any treatments to dip the frags in (have Coral Rx on order, but I'm not holding my breath for this to arrive).

Any advice would be appreciated.

ggk1988
04/01/2008, 07:17 PM
I would get them to someone with an already suitable environment.

Kep
04/01/2008, 08:58 PM
Turn them into your LFS for credit.

buildinboats
04/02/2008, 09:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12232703#post12232703 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kep
Turn them into your LFS for credit.

I don't have a LFS that I go to but that's a good suggestion if I did.

BLKTANG
04/02/2008, 09:44 AM
Post in your local club forum & ask if someone will take them,or sell them.