PDA

View Full Version : Safe liquid epoxy?

Electrobes
04/02/2008, 05:59 AM
I am building a Kalk Reactor but want the pump inside, so I need to cut the power cable (Of the pump) and thread it through the opening of the top. I am looking for a reef safe liquid epoxy... anyone know of any products found at Lowes?

Thanks!

discusdave
04/02/2008, 11:29 AM
JB Waterweld. Made for fresh and saltwater use. Just bought some at Wal-Mart in the Automotive section.
Dave

gbsteve
04/02/2008, 12:47 PM
There is a difference between 'made' for saltwater use and 'safe' for a saltwater aquarium. Is JB weld truely 'safe'?

discusdave
04/02/2008, 01:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12237241#post12237241 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gbsteve
There is a difference between 'made' for saltwater use and 'safe' for a saltwater aquarium. Is JB weld truely 'safe'?

I've used it and nothing died.
Dave

kgross
04/02/2008, 10:02 PM
When I do that I just use some silicone. That way when the pump has to be replaced it is pretty easy to do.

What I do is tie a knot in the cord, and then thread it through the hole (which should be just slightly larger than the cord. Then silicone it up just above the knot, and pull through the top until the knot is tight. Never had one leak. And when I needed to replace the pump, I just pull it back out and the silicone comes with it.

Kim