PDA

View Full Version : mag/alk/calc questions??please help me RC.....

dante7921
04/02/2008, 05:08 PM
Hello RC,

I seem to be having trouble keeping my calcium above 380 at best. I know it has to be a problem related to mag and or Alk....but everytime I test my alk, i have good levels.

Can someone recommend a piece of equipment to keep these levels acceptable?

I'm not against buying equipment.

Thanks

SaltyDr
04/02/2008, 05:15 PM
What are you supplementing with. I use the CA/Alk/Mag from twopartsolution (bulkreefsupply.com now) What exactly are your parameters and what livestock do you have? You can also use kalkwasser if your demand in not too high (or both if need be).

serpentman
04/02/2008, 05:18 PM
You may want to consider a calcium reactor. They will typically not raise your calcium but will help keep your Ca and Alk levels up once your reach desire levels.

dante7921
04/02/2008, 05:32 PM
Levels:
Ph= 8.3
Nitrate = <5ppm
Nitrite = undetectable
Ammonia=undetectable
Alk= 2.5 milli/lt
cal = 350ppm
mag= don't have a test

livestock:
cabbage coral
Leather toadstool
orange cup coral
candy cane coral
favia moon
acropora
gorgonians (2)
green stripe mushroom
green star polyp
maze brain coral
green eye zoos
green button polyps

fish:
2 true perc clowns
1 hippo tang
1 by color pygmy angel
1 fire cleaner shrimp
40 count cuc

jdieck
04/02/2008, 06:15 PM
I would recommend getting a magnesium test kit and also track it.

Calcium and alkalinity are on the low side which show the potential need for supplementation and probably your magnesium may be also low.

There are basically three ways to supplement calcium and alkalinity regularly:

a) Use a two part supplement like the DIY mentioned above or a comercial one like C-Balance from two little fishies, Kent's two part or b-ionic from ESV. I would recommend to use a commercial one until you get more familiar with supplementation to go the DIY way.

b) Use limewater (Kalk) via top off to replace your evaporation or using a Kalk (Nielsen) reactor

c) Use a calcium reactor to dissolve calcium carbonate (aragonite).

Here is an article that may help to understand the difference between the methods and general understanding of calcium and alkalinity issues.

How to Select a Calcium and Alkalinity Supplementation Scheme
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

Solving Calcium and Alkalinity Problems
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

A Simplified Guide to the Relationship Between Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium and pH
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/index.php

rbursek
04/02/2008, 06:30 PM
Take it to the Chem Forum.

rbursek
04/02/2008, 06:33 PM
If Mg is low, Ca will be a problem getting and keeping it up. What is yor Mg level? What salt do you use and what is your water change schedule?

dante7921
04/02/2008, 06:36 PM
I use Red Sea Coral Salt. Awesome mixture. Great ingredients. don't know my mg level yet. have to get test kit. I change 10% weekly,30% every other month.