PDA

View Full Version : I don't get it.....

ultimatemusky
04/02/2008, 08:03 PM
I have been a member for only a short time, before that I did visit RC to read all of the great advise given here. I do notice names of people who have been posting a for 6 months or so, asking for advise to get them out of a bad situation. Trouble is I have seen the same subjects talked about in such detail that it just amazes me that anyone could miss it. I have learned so much from this forum it kills me when people screw up and then ask for a bail out, when they should have just read first. That's all I've got to say about this. There...I feel better.

brians4671
04/02/2008, 08:07 PM
well this is the new to hobby forum

sgarron
04/02/2008, 08:18 PM
:rolleyes: One year and read it all and knows all, impressive.

woogy
04/02/2008, 08:34 PM
why does this bother you?...like brians4671 said it is new to the hobby...even though I have had my tanks up for years it was just FOWLR...no I am trying to convert it to reef...so new equipment...new questions...new livestock...new questions...or maybe something is not working out for someone and they post the same thread and get different replies because there is never the same people on all the time...if someone feels the question is repetitive or silly then just don't reply

seanb1
04/02/2008, 08:41 PM
well mostly what it is, is that alot of people are just afraid to make a mistake (rightfully so) so they just ask their question to make sure they are doing things right.

everyone is still learning about stuff on here, you wont see everyone answering everything around this place. theres alot of different subjects and alot of people just overlook them. and if you havnt noticed , the search function is almost non existant.

heck i thought i knew everything about arrgonite sand, come to find out, i dont even spell its name right, and have no plans on it.

ultimatemusky
04/02/2008, 08:46 PM
That's not what I am saying here, I am not proclaiming to know everything at all.... not even close. However anytime I do intend to do something I am not sure of I ask or read up on it. Not dive in headfirst and look for the answer to a disaster afterwards. I have seen the same question about keeping a tang in a thimble of water, or two in a tank to small for one, at least 6 times. Some of the names I recognize from much more previous posts.

Toddrtrex
04/02/2008, 08:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12240918#post12240918 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by brians4671
well this is the new to hobby forum

Exactly. I've been in this hobby for a decent amount of time ( 15+ years ), and I enjoy coming to the new hobby forum to try to pass on what I have learned from my mistakes over the years.

Sure, once in a while I am not in the mood to explain something that seems like common sense to me and when that happens I don't reply to that post, instead of criticizing the poster.

seanb1
04/02/2008, 08:51 PM
Dont let it bother you, it keeps me busy on saturday afternoon and wednesday nights.

NewFish3
04/02/2008, 08:54 PM
I think I know what ultimatemusky is saying. I have seen some of the same people post about using tap water & time after time have been told ( NO DONT )......Then 2 weeks later their back posting ((((( HELP )))))....I just used tap water....whats wrong with my tank.

Disclaimer......This was not intended to start a RO/DI vs Tap water debate

jamest0o0
04/02/2008, 08:59 PM
I have to agree with the part mentioned above that people are afraid to make mistakes.... I had to of posted 50 times about blue spotted jawfish just because I was afraid of spending 150$ on a fish and then having it die on me...

jamest0o0
04/02/2008, 09:01 PM
what do you mean tap water is bad? I just filled up my tank with it.....

jamest0o0
04/02/2008, 09:01 PM
sorry had to :)

marioensf
04/02/2008, 09:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12241352#post12241352 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NewFish3
I think I know what ultimatemusky is saying. I have seen some of the same people post about using tap water & time after time have been told ( NO DONT )......Then 2 weeks later their back posting ((((( HELP )))))....I just used tap water....whats wrong with my tank.

Disclaimer......This was not intended to start a RO/DI vs Tap water debate

It´s just a human thing to make the same mistake again and again and again...

I´ll stay here, in this forum as long as I find it helpful (forever maybe?)
You need help? here you get it
Need a miracle, wrong place but still you might get some help and advise.

I´ve learned from a lot of mistakes and still learning and hope to contribute to those who are just starting or have started making mistakes.

Cheers

ultimatemusky
04/02/2008, 09:05 PM
Thank you Fish........I don't have a problem with any new to the hobby research question. My problem lies in people that have access to the info and either ignore it, or just don't read up on it in the first place.

NewFish3
04/02/2008, 09:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12241409#post12241409 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jamest0o0
what do you mean tap water is bad? I just filled up my tank with it.....

Oh No Ya Dont.....Iam not biting........Iam new & improved :dance:

well wait till friday, after a few beers....LOL....Just kidding.... Iam reconditioned

ultimatemusky
04/02/2008, 09:09 PM
James, you did it right. You asked first, not bought a fish, killed it then ask why. Your questions are valid and show responsibility.

ultimatemusky
04/02/2008, 09:15 PM
To make the same mistake over and over again expecting a different result is the definition of insanity. If I run into the wall headfirst 9 times and think on the 10th time it's going to feel a lot better I need to commit myself.

jamest0o0
04/02/2008, 09:15 PM
not sure about everyone else, but not only do I hate having something die that I spent money on, but I also hate the fact that I bought something that was pulled out of its natural environment and then I killed it...

btw thanks musky, I try not kill anything in my fish tank, but the LR and super glue tried to kill me = O

NewFish3
04/02/2008, 09:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12241538#post12241538 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ultimatemusky
If I run into the wall headfirst 9 times and think on the 10th time it's going to feel a lot better I need to commit myself.
What.....to me, it feels so good once I stop......:dance:

seanb1
04/02/2008, 09:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12241538#post12241538 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ultimatemusky
To make the same mistake over and over again expecting a different result is the definition of insanity. If I run into the wall headfirst 9 times and think on the 10th time it's going to feel a lot better I need to commit myself. did bill teach you that?

jamest0o0
04/02/2008, 09:18 PM
I got a concussion from running into a wall one time

ultimatemusky
04/02/2008, 09:22 PM
Fish, you kill me, but I think you understood where I was coming from. I guess it was my turn to stir the pot a bit.

NewFish3
04/02/2008, 09:25 PM
Ya...I got your back....................did someone say pot ?

ultimatemusky
04/02/2008, 09:25 PM
James, how many more times have you done it since?......my point exactly (was it voluntary? if so I am worried about ya man)

ultimatemusky
04/02/2008, 09:26 PM
Fish you need help.....really

jamest0o0
04/02/2008, 09:29 PM
I've only ran into a BRICK wall once haha, back when I was like 10.... I have taken a good amount of punches to the head though which I also got a concussion from....

NewFish3
04/02/2008, 09:40 PM
Musky,

Where are you in Wisconsin ??? Iam up there all the time for my business.....I'll buy you a beer

Macimage
04/02/2008, 09:41 PM
I have learned so much from this forum it kills me when people screw up and then ask for a bail out, when they should have just read first.

I understand what you are saying.

Many times people post after the fact instead of researching before, ie they go to the fish store, buy a fish and THEN start a thread, If they had researched the subject before, they probably would have found 50 threads on the subject, ie why it's not a good idea to put a tang in a 29 gallon:). Just an example, but it happens all the time.

There are others that will post, ignore the advice and then post again when there are problems because they ignored everyone's advice.

The search function is your friend. When I first started (and even now) I just read as many threads in all the different parts of this forum, ie Reef Discussion, Equipment Forum, Reef Fishes forum, etc. that I can. My other suggestion is to purchase current books on reef aquariums. I got 10-12 of the top sellers when I first started out and read them all cover to cover. Even now, I try not to miss any of the new ones that come out.

If I am interested in a subject, I'll do a search, read all the pertinent threads and then start a new thread for more information.

Let me add to this mini rant:

The other thing that bothers me is posters that are continually asking for advice, but when you pull up the threads they participate in, there is a long list of all "Help Me" threads and they have not even posted one reply to help anyone else. Even newer reefers can provide some guidance to those just starting up a new setup.

Joyce

ultimatemusky
04/02/2008, 09:55 PM
Mac, thanks you said it even better. Fish, I am in southeastern WI, 25 min west of Milwaukee....I think I need a beer

NewFish3
04/02/2008, 10:06 PM
I have some friends in elm grove, brookfield.....Iam up in elkhart lake all the time

Oh Ya....see what you started.....Not me this time

ultimatemusky
04/02/2008, 10:14 PM
Fish, my musky guiding starts on May 3rd and keeps me busy until end of Sept, but I wouldn't turn down a beer. Do you like to fish at all? (I hope I don't get attacked on this forum for liking to catch a fish and release it.)

NewFish3
04/02/2008, 10:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12242057#post12242057 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ultimatemusky
Fish, my musky guiding starts on May 3rd and keeps me busy until end of Sept, but I wouldn't turn down a beer. Do you like to fish at all? (I hope I don't get attacked on this forum for liking to catch a fish and release it.)

As a matter of fact.....YES.....My wifes sister has some property up in Minn on a lake......I used to go to leach lake in Minn for years. I dont get to go much any more with my business. I have some friends also in Oconomowoc, ( hint ) Their family owns a famos beer. I have been on that lake also. I love fishing, just dont get to do much.