PDA

View Full Version : help on cutting baffles in sump..

mrpet
04/03/2008, 12:58 AM
well i have a problem my sump is already made done. the problem is the baffles were made to tall is there a tool that anyone knows of to cut them down? the sump is acrylic my problem it there is only like 1" to 1.5" between the baffles its going to be really hard to get in there and cut them down so they are somewhat even so any help would be great thanks..

mrpet
04/03/2008, 01:24 AM
someone?

MinibowMatt
04/03/2008, 06:51 AM
Well, it can be done.

I would try a dremel with a good cutting wheel and a router base.

Set the wheel height to where you need it, run the router base on top of the baffle. it will keep the line straight. Use tape to hold the two pieces together so you can continue to use the baffle edge as your guide as you get closer to finishing the cut.
Obviously this will only work if you need to trim just an inch or so off. If you need more, your going to have a harder time..
If you need to do it by hand, try using a SHARP razor knife and a straight edge and score the acrylic multiple times on each side, and at the glue joint. then carefully try to snap it out. <--- that may not really work, but its an idea.

MinibowMatt
04/03/2008, 06:52 AM
another option is contact the manufacturer and detail your problem to them. maybe you need more or less flow or arent running the sump the way they designed it... most manufactured sumps are pretty good designs if equipped right.

mrpet
04/03/2008, 09:46 AM
thanks matt well im the one who screwed up the problem is that i only have about 1.5" then i start cavitating i need more play than that. i also thought about a dremel all i need is about 2 to 3 more inches that should do it im going to use a dosing pump to top off but you know how that goes i think i can cut down each side its going across that will be difficult...

hebygb
04/03/2008, 12:06 PM
it sounds like your problem is the middle or interior baffles... where the body of the dremel will hit the previously cut end pieces. While not an elegant solution, nor quick, you could cut the end baffles then use a coping saw resting the blade on the previously cut baffles (using them as a guide.