PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is a cleaner shrimp?

inachu
04/03/2008, 12:51 PM
Can any small shrimp be a cleaner shrimp or do they just clean fish?

papagimp
04/03/2008, 12:54 PM
a "cleaner shrimp" is a term usually refering to the skunk cleaner shrimp (has many "common names") but their are several species that are considered cleaners. Peppermint shrimps are technically a "cleaner shrimp" but tend to not clean as often as the skunk cleaners do. And for the record, they don't exactly "clean" the fish, they just remove food from them, such as a cleaner shrimp eating on ich parasites or other simlar. I'm not sure if other smaller species engange in any cleaning activities, I've not owned any of them. fwiw, don't get a cleaner shrimp expecting it to take care of any parasitic problems with the fish or anything, their more "ornemental" than anything in our tanks. For keeping the fish healthy and clean, properly care will do this.

adammreef
04/03/2008, 01:01 PM
here are a couple of links for you to read about cleaner shrimps.

scarlet scunk cleaner shrimp (http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+525+696&pcatid=696)

blood red fire shrimp (http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+525+697&pcatid=697)

matt880305
04/03/2008, 01:02 PM
and fyi on the peppermint if you get one you will probably barely ever see it they like to hide and come out at night. i own one and I haven't seen for 4 days (found a new hiding spot....).
Matt

D to the P
04/03/2008, 01:07 PM
they are the molesters of the oceans. Usually a scarlet cleaner will hang out in one spot and set up shop. Sometimes fish will go over to it and display themselves for the shrimp to "clean" them, but usually the shrimp just pounces on any fish or hand that comes close to them and feels em up. Some fish will be annoyed by it and run while others will just deal with it and learn to live with their grabby neighbor. They will eat just about anything including flakes, and do a great job removing scabs from your hand or picking at your cuticles haha.

jamest0o0
04/03/2008, 01:30 PM
the only shrimp I have ever witnessed clean a fish is the skunk cleaner, I have had a fire shrimp since my tank finished cycling and for the first 2 months he always hid and now he still is a little skiddish, but comes out more especially during feeding....the skunk cleaner I have is always out(used to have 2, but one disappeared).....and the peppermint I have is always out...