PDA

View Full Version : Algea on SAND?

Tajjo
04/03/2008, 03:47 PM
I am growing some algea on my sand, its kinda brownish red, i think i need a something to stir up my sand, any ideas? I have a few nacerious snails. Anything helps,

downhillbiker
04/03/2008, 04:14 PM
i have the same problem. i have a rainford's goby in qt that will help, but im thinking that stirring up your sand is not such a good idea, you will get rid of the beneficial bacteria. i intend to just add to my cleanup crew. if the rainfords goby isn't enough i will add a sand sifter, goby of some sort. rainfords is sand sifter and hair algae eater, but not very big.

Tajjo
04/03/2008, 07:13 PM
Yeah that sounds like a good idea, but my problem is that i dont have a canopy so a goby may jump out. But i need to do something soon its irritating.

vanmo92
04/03/2008, 07:27 PM
I would guess that it is some sort of diatoms. That happens when a new tank is setup. It could also happen if your tank goes through a mini-cycle. I am not sure stirring up the sand would help a lot, but it would be a temporary fix. CHeck your parasites, especially Po4, and Nitrate.

downhillbiker
04/03/2008, 08:25 PM
the goby wont jump out. i dont have a top either. this goby is a bottom 1/3 tank dweller. it will be fine. they also are very colorful.

Tajjo
04/03/2008, 11:58 PM
Hmmm ok ill look into one. I cant wait to build my canopy so i can get a blue stotted jaw fish

downhillbiker
04/04/2008, 12:02 AM
yeah i dont like canopies because the tank gets hotter, the glass gets dirty, and you dont get as much metal halide "shimmer" or light penetration when it's on. i like that it evaporates more because that gives me more chance to change the water parameters with things like kalk. enjoy, and hope you can get the blue spotted jaw that you want.

ccso139
04/04/2008, 06:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12247601#post12247601 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by downhillbiker
i have the same problem. i have a rainford's goby in qt that will help, but im thinking that stirring up your sand is not such a good idea, you will get rid of the beneficial bacteria. i intend to just add to my cleanup crew. if the rainfords goby isn't enough i will add a sand sifter, goby of some sort. rainfords is sand sifter and hair algae eater, but not very big.

Unless I have a dud, go ahead and get you that sand sifter. My raifords goby doesn't do anything in the way of keeping the sand sifted. He just picks stuff off the rocks and spreads it around the tank. I am considering a red spotted blenny to give it a try for the sand sifting?

PorscheReef
04/04/2008, 06:49 AM
Be very careful with goby's they are jumpers dont underestimate
them. Ive lost 2 that way.

ihopss
04/04/2008, 06:49 AM
The goby will not fix the prob but it will make your tank look good until you fix your problem.

downhillbiker
04/04/2008, 10:02 AM
your rainfords goby is a dud, or mine is good. it picks hair algae and sifts sand, all day, doesnt do a whole lot, but slow and steady.