PDA

View Full Version : Color of frags different than mother

Toxik
04/03/2008, 10:10 PM
I have a coral in my tank that is for the most part brown with some purple tips. A month ago a few pieces broke off so I decided to glue them to some rubble and place them at the bottom of the tank in the sand. For some reason they are turning a wild green with purple polyps. These frags are off in the corner, not in the brightest part of the tank or the most flow. One thing that has crossed my mind is that more fish poop is settling in that area giving the corals more food. Any thoughts?
The tank is 29gal with a 10K 175W XM Metal Halide. I am keeping the phosphates at 0. Cal 400-420, Alk 9-10, PH 8 - 8.2

cutegecko3
04/03/2008, 10:40 PM
Corals that receive less light are likely to turn green.

acrodave
04/04/2008, 10:49 AM
it could be one that dose not like strong lighting

Toxik
04/04/2008, 02:53 PM
I could try and move the coral down a bit to see what happens, but they are only 8 inches away from each other. It is a small tank.

dominga
04/04/2008, 03:02 PM
Be careful moving the coral down just at once because you can create some damage. your coral has been stablished for the light and has compensated by turning darker color, if you move it down some of the tissue will release the algae in charge of producing the pigment and this one is in charge of prodicing food for survival. photoacclimation takes time and do it slowly. The same way you want to bring corals up to the light the same way they shoud be brought down, slow.