PDA

View Full Version : Tank age VS SPS growth.

BLKTANG
04/04/2008, 11:30 AM
I've been keeping SPS now for successfully now for some time,but in my old reef it was a mature 3+ years softie tank that I converted to SPS,& everything went well including growth.

I recently moved,& started a new 75g just over 3months now,& have a fully stocked frag tank as a display for the exception of a few mini colonies.

My question is that my corals while doing well,coloring up etc.. seem to be growing very slow maybe 1/4 " on monties a month,& things like my Palmers Milii,Lokani,Tubs PP BN,& a few others are encrusting but not as fast as some of the frags I've seen posted here.

My parameters are. (All taken 5 minutes ago)

CA 425 Salifert
MG 1360 Sera
ALK 10 Salifert
PH 8.3 Hanna Meter
P04 .02 Hanna Meter (Calibrated today)
No4-No4 0 Salifert
SG 1.025
RO/DI top off, 8g weekly WC's (Brand new RO/DI)

Lights 2 250w 10 Hammys 2 40w VHO actinics

I dose 30ml ESV CA-ALK every other day.

Am i missing something,or is my tank just not mature enough yet to promote decent growth yet?

Thanks.Dave.

BLKTANG
04/04/2008, 11:31 AM
O skimmer is modded G2 skimming wet.

Flow is provided by 2 VorTech's on Reef Pulse.

BLKTANG
04/04/2008, 11:40 AM
I forgot to mention that most of my LR was held from my old tank in a friends sump with lights (enough to fill this tank),& every drop of water came from his 1000g+ system.

psteeleb
04/04/2008, 11:41 AM
I think you're right on. Even with perfect conditions a young tank will still be cycling different bio & chemical producers & consumers. My short lived experiance tells me that SPS, even hardy ones, like stabilty across all fronts, not just salinity, Mg, CA. Alk etc. So until they get settled in with what their daily routines including; light intensity & cycles, feeding cycles and diversities, etc, as well as stability with the other bio/chemical cycles they will be somewhat stunted. I found they can be healthy durring these time, but when all parameters become stable, only then do they seem to get into a growth production groove, and can take off.

trueblackpercula
04/04/2008, 12:38 PM
I have found that tanks take up to year before things go well, i do not know why but for some reason after the one year mark Sps tank seem to flourish.

Michael

PUGroyale
04/04/2008, 12:40 PM
^^^ no idea why either but it's like a switch gets flipped :lol:

acrodave
04/04/2008, 01:58 PM
I think its because they have been moved and the coral has get adjusted to the light and water flow and tank..
Moving them changes water flow light and water conditions.. I have seen some of my acros shut down after being moved in the same take just to a diff. spot were the flow and light was diff.