PDA

View Full Version : Help with lighting and stand/canopy

Al Bendiksen
04/04/2008, 04:04 PM
Hey y'all,

I am very, and i mean around three months, new to the hobby. I am not going to jump straight into keeping a reef aquarium but ill slowly make my way up to it. I am planning on buying an 120 gallon aquarium to build up to a reef.

I have two concerns:

1) I am not sure whether i should buy a stand or canopy (but to be honest im not sure what is the difference). I am planning on buying a 35 gallon sump to go under the main aquarium. Will that fit under both a stand and canopy?

2) I live in a rented house so i can not install the lights to the roof. (Every equipment as to go under or behind the stand, or canopy, because it will be in a living room.) So i was wondering if anyone could give me a few tips on what to do with the lighting, i know it has to be sufficient to house reefs. Would lights fit under a canopy?

Any, and all, information is graciously accepted.

Thank you very much,
Al Bendiksen

sufunk
04/04/2008, 04:08 PM
Stand is what the tank goes on, canopy goes on top of the tank.

35g sump should fit under a standard stand for a 120g but just measure the sump and measure the space under the stand to be sure.

Most people have lights "retrofitted" to their canopy. Basically they are inside the top of the canopy screwed into the top. My lights are a fixture and they have little legs that make it sit on top of the tank. The canopy then goes over the tank and light fixture. Personally, i like that much better than attached to the top of the canopy.

Either way should work fine for you though, just depends on wht lights you want.

Al Bendiksen
04/05/2008, 11:57 AM
That answered all my questions, thank you! So one more thing, where did you get the legs for the lights, and if you dont mind me asking, what kind of lights do you have on them?

Thank you,
Al

sufunk
04/05/2008, 02:19 PM
I used to have a 72" coralife with 3x150w mh's and 4x96w pc's.

Now, i have a 72" Current USA outer orbit fixture with 3x250w mh's and 8x39w t-5's. Both of them come with legs to put it on the top of the tank. Getting the canopy over it then is a TIGHT squeeze and you have to be really careful but it fits(BARELY!).

tcollins
04/05/2008, 03:46 PM
Your doing the right thing reading and asking questions on RC, if your going to get into this hobby, spending time here before you run out and buy a bunch of stuff will save you money in the long run.

If your in Texas, I'm guessing your rental house is built on a slab on grade, so you shouldn't have any problems with weight like you would if you had a basement. Do talk to your landlord about this though, some freak when you talk about 150 gallons of saltwater.

You'll also need to think about how long your going to be in this particular rental. Moving a 120 gallon tank is something your not going to want to do every year. After the first time you'll see what I mean.

Great hobby, very rewarding, kind of expensive but worth the time you put into it. Everyone will tell you that nothing happens quick in this hobby and patience pays off. Spend your time researching and save your money until your sure what you want to do. Have Fun!!!!!

Al Bendiksen
04/06/2008, 11:35 AM
Hey just one more question, and sorry i keep asking so many.

Would you recommend buying an reef-ready aquarium from glasscages.com?

I think its a good site, i can buy my sump there also and a stand and canopy. But i was wondering to get your more experienced knowledge.

Thank you,
Al

tcollins
04/06/2008, 11:41 AM
I got my AGA 75 RR from my local LFS, so I'll leave others to comment on the 120. I've been happy with mine, don't know that for a standard size tank like I've got I would have spent any more money on low iron glass or the other upgrades out there. I do know alot of folks order their tanks on line, but I wanted to inspect the one I bought and have a local option if I had a problem. I got my stand and canopy off of Ebay and they turned out nice, very cost effective also.

sufunk
04/06/2008, 11:43 AM
Do a search on glasscages on here. They are definitely cheap and alot of people love them but some people have had some problems with them.

I was going to get a custom tank from them but even though it was so cheap to build, the shipping was thru the roof and made it not worth it.

The other thing that worried me was all the clauses in their warranty.. Even if the tank fails due to their fault, you have to still pay to ship the tank back to them and for them to ship you a new tank. A little scary for me.

Al Bendiksen
04/06/2008, 03:45 PM
I have found a 120g reef-ready aquarium at glasscages. Although there is negative comments out there on this company, i will try it out either way.

My question is that it says it comes with 1 glass wall overflow (located on back panel) and with two holes for the overflow. Does that mean that both holes lead to the sump, or are they one for the sump and one for the return lines?

And if they are both drain lines where does the return line come into place?
Al

marioensf
04/06/2008, 08:39 PM
Hi !

Don't even mention being sorry to ask too many questions.
This is the best place to get answers and most people spend a lot of time here just to help because they are responsible reefkeepers and try to make of this hobby one that satisfies, educates and make people aware of the wonder of the seas that are at risk.
Did you know the new Academy of Sciences in San Francisco will have an amazing reef coral collection? Many of them were and are being donated by reefers in the SF Bay Area BAR Forum
Is better to ask a lot of questions now that you start than later when you are in trouble and causing some sea creatures stress and struggle to survive in a "DIY water pollution control plant at home"
Is the life forms we try to keep and thrive in an artificially created environment.
I'm still new at this "hobby" thing and lots to learn, yes, keep making unforeseen mistakes, come back online and research, maybe a couple of hours maybe a couple of nights but in the end RC has an answer and best of all HELP.

WELCOME TO YOUR NEW HOME (actually set it as your home page)

marioensf
04/06/2008, 08:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12268926#post12268926 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
I have found a 120g reef-ready aquarium at glasscages. Although there is negative comments out there on this company, i will try it out either way.

My question is that it says it comes with 1 glass wall overflow (located on back panel) and with two holes for the overflow. Does that mean that both holes lead to the sump, or are they one for the sump and one for the return lines?

And if they are both drain lines where does the return line come into place?
Al

Normally they come pre-drilled (that means Reef Ready) either with an internal overflow chamber like the MegaFlow or sometimes with an externally (NOT HOB !) attached overflow box.
The two holes at the bottom are most of the time one, being the bigger one, the outflow to the sump and the smaller one is the return from the sump/filtration chamber (s) I think this later one was designed internally to keep a more clean look, less hoses or pipes to be exposed.
If you only have one hole in the overflow chamber, people use return hoses/pvc/pipes over the tank's rim; there's thousands of possibilities to work on the return. Locklines are somehow preferred because their flexibility and expandeability, if you don't like it you can always twist it, add or remove, put a "Y" or two; yes they are expensive little parts when you add the price per piece.
Some other people drill the tanks back pane to accommodate the return bulk heads or to create a closed loop for water movement.
Don't take the risk of drilling the glass !!
If you go for Glasscages, get a front Starphire glass pane, is not that much of a difference in price.

Good Luck