PDA

View Full Version : eels

naz42
04/04/2008, 06:34 PM
anyone ever keep a blue ribbin eel in the reef tanks or any other type of eel?

naz42
04/05/2008, 04:55 PM
anyone?

andygb54303
04/05/2008, 08:42 PM
there was just a thread a while back about a reef safe eel, ribbon eel i think? i think i clicked alink where it was going for $349

R.W.
04/06/2008, 12:24 AM
that was a golden ribbon eel or something. Check on MarineCenter.com they have them for sale. I cant remember the exact name of it though, but they have a picture of one that is bright yellow.

Kolognekoral
04/06/2008, 03:49 AM
Naz, I have a blue ribbon eel (Rh. queista) since over two years in my reef. He will eat small fish he can catch, but as he is rather slow, and more than a bit 'dumb', he has only managed 3 in this time, all of which were not doing well in any case.

The trick with ribbon eels is getting them to eat. I have never had a real problem, but many report them simply starving to death. I feed strips of raw fish and stints, plus frozen shrimps (his fav food). As my aqaurium is quite deep, 30"/80cm, I use a tong to wave the morsels in front of him and he takes them, rather gently, then receeds to his cave to dine in private. A cave is all important to such creatures. It need not be more than an area under the rocks where he can retreat to, or even a system of PVC pipes.

Hope this helps,

andygb54303
04/06/2008, 07:51 AM
now i want one!

andy321
04/06/2008, 06:12 PM
I heard that ribbon eels do best when there is more than one so that a feeding frenzy starts

Grey Reefer
04/06/2008, 07:56 PM
Here is an article awhile back in RK a serpent for your reef tank (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-12/fm/index.php) Best of Luck:D

irishrose302
04/06/2008, 09:13 PM
very good information, I have a black (juvenile) ribbon eel for a while now and he eats great. They are shy though and struggle with aggresive eaters.

just so that you know, black is a juvenile) As they mature, the black will turn blue with the tips of the mouth and inside the mouth turning yellow. Apparently they will grow larger to become fully grown females which are a golden yellow color.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12265597#post12265597 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kolognekoral
Naz, I have a blue ribbon eel (Rh. queista) since over two years in my reef. He will eat small fish he can catch, but as he is rather slow, and more than a bit 'dumb', he has only managed 3 in this time, all of which were not doing well in any case.

The trick with ribbon eels is getting them to eat. I have never had a real problem, but many report them simply starving to death. I feed strips of raw fish and stints, plus frozen shrimps (his fav food). As my aqaurium is quite deep, 30"/80cm, I use a tong to wave the morsels in front of him and he takes them, rather gently, then receeds to his cave to dine in private. A cave is all important to such creatures. It need not be more than an area under the rocks where he can retreat to, or even a system of PVC pipes.

Hope this helps,

Chibils
04/06/2008, 09:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12263993#post12263993 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by andygb54303
there was just a thread a while back about a reef safe eel, ribbon eel i think? i think i clicked alink where it was going for $349 That was a golden dwarf moray eel. They're another story because they're too small to eat small fish/some inverts, and are even a different genus.

yraveh
04/28/2008, 06:29 AM
i HAD IT WITH SNAKE EEL. they did well together