PDA

View Full Version : advice

badbrady06
04/05/2008, 02:07 PM
i have a 220gallon fowlr tank that i would like to add corals to. the question is, how much light do i need. my tank is 28 in deep. i want softies and lps with a few sps corals towards the top of the tank. the thing is i have two islands i guess you would say of rock with the majority of the tanks bottm open (just sand). i don't want the sand to get alot of algae growth on it. what would be the best advice you could give. my tank dimensions are 24in across, 76 inches long and 28 inches deep. thanks

mattsfishes84
04/05/2008, 08:14 PM
I'd go with a T-5 HO Fixture

bullitr
04/05/2008, 09:13 PM
at least 250 watts metal halide you tank is not that deep so the light will penetrate sooner or later t5 will be insufficient . because you will be addicted at least you don't have to upgrade later on. thats will i do

rlxwcapt
04/06/2008, 02:31 PM
Lighting is a hard thing to get your hands around. There are so many options. metal halides, T5 and LED. I just purchased the Solaris for my tank. I think this is the way to go. The I series. Things that you forget to think about is the affects of lighting. I have used MH for about 16 years now. I remember when the 1st 5500k and then the 6500k. You need to think about the affect that the lights will have on your temperature. Do you need to have a chiller, bulb replacement, evaporation and electricity. Yes the Solaris is expensive at 1st but in the long run will save you money.