PDA

View Full Version : ? about filters

nemo18
04/05/2008, 03:23 PM
i have just being down to my LFS today, they said to me that the undergravel filter that came with my tank is ok to use, i was just wondering can you use undergravel filters, are they good or bad for mairnes or is it just best to have coral sand down with no undergravel filter, but then how do i keep the sand clean of waste, would the hermit crabs and snails do that for me and the tank i have is a 10gal. thanks

nemo18

BLKTANG
04/05/2008, 03:35 PM
My advice to you is to find another LFS.

Undergravel filters are not good for SW aquairums.

nemo18
04/05/2008, 03:43 PM
ok thanks, so for my size tank would live rock be enough as far as biological filtaration goes thanks nemo18

wiscsaltwater
04/05/2008, 03:46 PM
Undergravel filters were the best thing since sliced bread 15 years ago, people dropped those and went to bio balls, people are quickly learning that they are no good.

What i do and i have been fairly successful is load up on live rock, live sand, run a refugium with some cheato, then i run a fluval 305 canister with only carbon in it, changing that every 3 weeks or so and do your normal water changes.

seapug
04/05/2008, 03:46 PM
there are many tanks that have been running UGF's for decades, but it's mostly because that was "the way" at the time and they do work.

For a "modern" ten gallon, get a protein skimmer, couple small powerheads and a cheap HOB filter that has a nice open "box" for media. Take out all the cartriges and put live rock and Chaeto in it and get one of those $3 clip on lights. Instant mini-refugium. That's all you really need to create a healthy system.

BLKTANG
04/05/2008, 03:47 PM
yes that will be good.

Adding a H.O.B refugium will work great in your case.

Here is a good link to make one,my first ever reef was a 10g,& i used this with great success.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=601201&highlight=how+to+DIY+an

nemo18
04/05/2008, 03:53 PM
thanks everyone for your help