PDA

View Full Version : eminant death to my ocellaris-Help!

jackcarp
04/05/2008, 04:33 PM
2 days ago I bought 2 ocellaris from my lfs. Today, one of them died after having some white looking material on the sides of the fish and lesions on the side of the head. It started having a difficult time swimming evident by sinking fast while he swam vertical in the water. I think he finally got too tired and went behind a rock and died. My other one is starting to exhibit the same whitish material on the side and hasn't left the upper corner of my tank. Anyone know if I can do anything pre-emptive to keep my last ocellaris?
I have a 20 gallon reef tank with 1 other fish-a dragon goby that I have had for about a year. They get along great. I have checked all of my water parameters and everything is great. Is this a fungus, disease, or something that I am doing wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated.

andygb54303
04/05/2008, 05:54 PM
sounds like ick, to the qt tank

jackcarp
04/05/2008, 09:24 PM
Did some research of past threads and sounds really like brooklynella. Since I live in rural area, I don't have any access to formalin (unless you can buy it at a regular grocery store) so I dipped my ocellaris in freshwater for a few minutes. Looked like it may have helped. Hopefully I can continue to do that until I get some formalin and a QT set up. May be a few days.

findin' Nemo
04/06/2008, 04:57 AM
May be able to get it at a pharmacy. It is 37% formaldahyde.

The same thing happened to me last week. The first one died and the second one is in quarantine with formalin and starting to eat again.

You may also be able to mail-order formalin. The bottle I bought as $5.

FN

reefman13
04/06/2008, 07:23 AM
Try ordering it offline.

Massengill
04/06/2008, 07:47 AM
My Tomato clown had some white junk on it after I bought it. I also did the freshwater dip, but put in the ich treatment too. I dipped my clown for for 5 minutes, waited a day and dipped it for 10 minutes, waited a day and dipped it for 20 minutes. Then I repeated the process in reverse order. It took 6 dips overall, but it's alive and kicking today. I lost an Oscellaris and a Percula too something similar. Tomatoes, Cinnamons and Skunks are very tough little clowns. My Skunk got the white junk at one time too, but got over it all by itself.

JDL1000
04/06/2008, 08:16 AM
If you live anywhere around a Walmart they have formalin in the pet section. Its in a bottle called (Quick Cure).

jackcarp
04/06/2008, 08:17 AM
I will have to try my local pharmacy-that is something I didn't think about. I know it is not a good idea to have it in my main tank, but I don't have anything else to make a QT out of. Would it be horrible to do the dips while putting it back in my tank between dips? Will my dragon goby get it too? Thanks for all the great advice.

jackcarp
04/06/2008, 08:19 AM
Closest Wal Mart is about 1 hour away-I may be able to get there tomorrow. I could probably get enough stuff for a QT tank. Thanks!

JDL1000
04/06/2008, 08:21 AM
You can buy a 10 gallon starter kit from walmart for 25.00 and it will have everything you need for a QT. Make sure you take the carbon out of the filter.

jackcarp
04/06/2008, 08:40 AM
Sounds good enough-I need to find another hobby that makes money in order to fund this hobby. ;)

jackcarp
04/06/2008, 08:57 AM
I guess I don't know how to differentiate between marine ich and brooklynella. Anyone know how to differentiate between the two since the treatments are totally different?

JDL1000
04/06/2008, 09:27 AM
This is a good site. It talks and shows pics of both problems.

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/marineich.html

jackcarp
04/06/2008, 05:08 PM
My last ocellaris-RIP