PDA

View Full Version : Transferring Tank Questions

will16
04/05/2008, 09:27 PM
Hello,

I am in the process of upgrading from a 45gal to a 90gal with a 30gal sump. I am a bit concerned about the water. I will transfer as much of my existing water as possible. Without the rock and sand I am guessing about 30-35 gallons. That leaves 90 gallons of new water. Would this be too much of a shock to fish and corals? The new tank is going where the existing tank is so I have to break down the old, transfer to temp holding, set up the new and put everything back. I don't have the luxury of letting things settle. If I just acclimate fish and corals with water from the new tank, would that be ok? Any advice?

Thanks,
Will

Roy G. Biv
04/05/2008, 09:40 PM
Can you do a water change and put the old water in the 90? In a few days transfer the rest?

poppin_fresh
04/05/2008, 09:58 PM
It should work fine, but if you can premix some of the water ahead of time so it can stabilize, it would be best. You will want to give the new water a chance to aerate and get to temp before you acclimate to it. This may take several hours so make sure the stuff in holding is going to be ok during the wait.

You may need to have a way to provide O2 and some heat for the critters in storage.

SeanT
04/05/2008, 10:42 PM
As long as you match salinity and temp you will be fine.
I regularly do 60% plus waterchanges.

will16
04/06/2008, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I can not change the water and leave for a few days. I would have to transfer everything at the same time. I will have all the new water mixed and in holding cans with power heads and heaters for 5-6 days ahead of the change. The temp holding tank for fish/coral/LR will have heaters and airpumps.

One more question, as I fill the new tank with water and sand, there will be a bit of a sand storm. Is it safe to put fish and corals back in before it all settles?