PDA

View Full Version : New Here......

96GTRagTop
04/06/2008, 12:32 PM
Hey, Muh names is Rags and I'm new to this site. Been in the hobby for almost 2 years, and i still consider myself an amatuer....

I've gone through some hell with past tank, learned some lesson, and finally got a nice 33 gallon set up goin in December. Then the tank sprung not 1, but 2 leaks, so i had to do an emergency swap uprgade to a 45 gallon high.

Unfortunately not all my friends survived. I've had some issues with the cycling of this tank, but hopefully I've gotten everything under control thanks to some Bio Spira.

Feb 27th was what i like to call the "Second Coming of Hell" and the day this new tank started. As of right now u can see my tank parameters below, and i've got 2 chromis', 1 yellow tail, i valentine puffer, 1 flame anger, and a sally light foot.

So my question.... my Flame Angel appears to have ick from 8pm till morning, then the rest of the day no spots. Can anyone explain this?

My amonia and nitrites fluctuated a bit up to .25 for a few hours each day but by night everythings his hunkey dori.

suzimcmullen
04/06/2008, 12:52 PM
I can't explain it, only wish I knew. When we had ich, I noticed the same thing. But I will say you better remove everything to do with reef if you have any and either treat them in this tank or get a new tank for a hospital tank.

No matter what medication you use, even if it say's it's reef safe, it's not. You won't have to go back far in the threads to read about all the ways to treat ich. Myself, I used quickcure and I treated 3 days in a row in the first week then waited a week and treated again 3 days in the beginning of the 3rd week. Then I waited about 6 more weeks I believe so that my main tank was fishless for a couple of months so that I didn't have to worry about them getting it again. I also set up a new tank during that time and cycled it so that I could divide my group of fish and make sure I wasn't overcrowding them which would cause stress and therefore, bring ich on again if any of the parasite somehow survived or came in on a new coral, snails etc.

Suzi

rolodex1
04/06/2008, 12:56 PM
WELCOME....

96GTRagTop
04/06/2008, 12:56 PM
i've got nothing in there but fish and live rock with one crab.........

Can i treat the tank and fish all at the same time? I know the crabs gotta come out.

96GTRagTop
04/06/2008, 12:57 PM
thanx for the welcome rolodex.......

I'll actually be moving to the Fort Lauderdale area by the end of 08...maybe u can point me in the direction of a few LFS....

suzimcmullen
04/06/2008, 01:00 PM
The live rock needs to come out too or any hitchikers and the good bacteria would die. You can set up a rubbermaid and put the live rock and crabs in there. You'll have to do changes and watch the perameters. Or you can leave the crabs and live rock in place and set up a rubbermaid to treat the fish.

Suzi

96GTRagTop
04/06/2008, 01:11 PM
thanx for ur quick reply BTW.....

also, my valentini puffer was purchased ridden with ick.... and within 3 weeks it went away......is there any possible way that this can go away too?

96GTRagTop
04/06/2008, 03:33 PM
So I'm 90% sure my flame angel is sufforing from liver failure.....

He's been eating fine, doing his things and then BAMM!! he's belly up on the bottom gasping for air...

my ph also dropped from 8.3 to 7.9 roughly.... overnight......

suzimcmullen
04/06/2008, 03:44 PM
Wow, with all these sick fish I'd be wondering about your water perameters. I really don't have a lot of experience with sick fish. But I do believe that ich can be healed through the fishes own immune system, but only if the fish is in a great non-stressful envioronment and has been very healthy. Since you have so many fish with big problems, I suspect that you have a really bad case of ich.

Suzi

96GTRagTop
04/06/2008, 04:50 PM
damnedest thing just happened...... went to pull the dead flame out of the tank and my puffer fish pulled a jumper as i was finishing up.....sucker jumped out the 1 inch of open space in the tank........

so I'm pretty much down to 2 fish...... i think i'm just gonna drain 75% of the water and see if i can purchase 25 gallons of cycled water from a LFS

suzimcmullen
04/06/2008, 04:53 PM
There's really no such thing as "cycled" water. The good bacteria grows on the surfaces, in live rock and in filters in your tank. The good bacteria is not free floating in the tank.

Suzi

96GTRagTop
04/06/2008, 05:04 PM
well i just pretty muched watch all my fish go crazy and die.......

I'', just gonna let the damned thing sit and not touch it........ i hate this hobby sometimes......

2 grand deep and a lifeless tank :(

BLKTANG
04/06/2008, 05:14 PM
welcome to RC,sorry about the tank.

96GTRagTop
04/06/2008, 05:39 PM
thanx........

now that everything is dead in my tank, my paramerters read normal......no amonia, no nitrite, 8.1 PH..... anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

Water is not clear either, it has a cloudy hu to it.......

Water change? Water Swap? leave it alone for a few weeks? Kick in the Glass and smoke a fatty?

BLKTANG
04/06/2008, 05:41 PM
dont add anything to it,& a decent WC.

96GTRagTop
04/07/2008, 12:12 PM
so my LFS confirmed my tests, and my test kit is working just fine. The guy who runs the fish section doesn't know what the hell is wrong, that he's personally never lost a tank over night like this.

I know for a fact the only foriegn agent introduced to my tank was baking soda to control the PH, and that wasn't even added to the tank, but to extracted water from the tank and then readded.

As of right now I'm doing small water changes.... 1-2 gallons a day....i might possibly do a second right before bed time.....