PDA

View Full Version : Quick rundown of what supplements can be added directly to SW and what can't

Megalodon
04/06/2008, 12:39 PM
Could someone please post it? Thanks. :)

I'll go first with what I know...

Lime - Must be mixed with FW first

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/06/2008, 01:01 PM
I'd suggest that most any solids should be dissolved in fresh water first, if only to prevent delicate organisms from being irritated from undissolved solids.

One big exception is Tropic Marin Biocalcium and similar one part calcium and alkalinity products, which should NOT be dissolved in fresh water first, or else it will self react to product calcium carbonate, making is much less useful.

Megalodon
04/06/2008, 01:11 PM
Let's say it's being added to mixing salt in a bucket and delicate organisms are not a factor.

rbursek
04/06/2008, 02:39 PM
What I got from Randy's answer and your last post is that once your salt mix is mixed in a separate container then your tank you can add your supplements to it and when you do your water change all is in suspension, Kalk is always mixed in FW.

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/06/2008, 04:43 PM
In a salt mix container, I think you can add most any supplement in any fashion that is otherwise appropriate for a salt mix boost. Lime/limewater isn't normally useful for a salt mix, except perhaps to boost pH a bit, but solids would be OK there.