PDA

View Full Version : Live Rock/filter????

Tabitha
04/06/2008, 03:24 PM
recently i was having an algae outbreak and bought more cuc to remedy that. I cleaned up some of it manually and after turned off my canister filter and cleaned it out. Funny how i forgot to turn it back on and after a month the algae hasn't returned. I read a previous post regarding the use of filters and decided to leave it off. This is working extremely well as water parameters are great and my fish and other inhabitants seem happy. My question is do u think I should add more live rock? I have plenty of space, and I'm not exactly sure but I think I got about 40 lbs. in there already. U can view my tank in my gallery just learning to get photos of the tank so bare with me:D

Crimthann
04/06/2008, 03:32 PM
I've seen people suggest 1 to 1.5 lbs of live rock per gallon. So for your 55 gallon i'd add at least another 15 lbs.

Great looking tank BTW.

suzimcmullen
04/06/2008, 03:48 PM
I think it depends on how many fish you want to have. It seems to me that 1 pound per gallon is taking up a lot of space and 2 pounds per gallon takes up most of the swim room.

Suzi

tmz
04/06/2008, 03:52 PM
40lbs in a 55 is sufficient.

Tabitha
04/06/2008, 05:03 PM
First of all thanks to all for a quick response. I'm pretty sure this tank is gonna get filled up pretty quickly since i'm obsessed with fish and coral!! I'm gonna leave it be for now as far as live rock goes. I just bought a coral beauty angel and that brings me to 9 fish. Thanks Crimthann for the compliment it felt good to know maybe I'm doing something right.

tmz
04/06/2008, 05:43 PM
Do't know if you have a sand bed or not but if you do that also acts as a denitrifier.