PDA

View Full Version : mystery wrasse... gone missing

FishTruck
04/06/2008, 09:30 PM
I am taking this as a bad sign and don't plan on seeing him again.

I added the best looking mystery wrasse, along with a Balteatus, one week ago today. These two, with another fairy were out and about, eating like champs, getting along, all looked good. I added a pink tail trigger, who has been shy, but otherwise doing great. 300 gallon system.

So, I leave town for the weekend, come back, and my mystery wrasse is MIA. Everyone else is doing great! The canopy is practically air tight and the wrasse is not stuck to any light that I can find. Carpet search negative... and really just a formality. I did check the overflow box and drained it... not in there either. Did a carcass search with a flash light after lights out... nothing. The crabs are all out and about, none clustered anywhere.

So... he is either... buried in the sand, hiding, ordead and gone. I am really bummed. The trigger has the equipment to take out a wrasse, but, I don't see it in him.

Anyone every have a mystery wrasse hide for a day or two, and come out healthy?

Ryan.

Chibils
04/06/2008, 09:36 PM
I've read many people have fish that disappear for days or weeks at a time and have them reappear later.

I personally lost my firefish for a whopping two days (I know, impressive) and caught the male peeking out of a tiny hole in a rock. I was completely shocked that he could fit his head in there, much less his whole body.

Don-Coraleone
04/07/2008, 10:54 AM
my mystery goes mising all the time but reappears in a couple days.

melanotaenia
04/07/2008, 12:36 PM
I doubt he buried, but I would give some more time before writing him off as a piece of caviar for your other tank inhabitants. Mine is very elusive, and there are whole days that go by where I don't see him at all.

snorvich
04/07/2008, 02:13 PM
they can be reclusive. As long as your tank is safely covered, it is likely that he is in there somewhere.

melanotaenia
04/07/2008, 10:05 PM
as long as we are on the subject, I have a question about these fish; what do you guys feed? Mine is tearing up Mysis Shrimp right now, and some Cyclopeeze, but I want to ensure his diet is ensuring his continued bright coloring; anyone have any special diets for their mystery wrasse, or can anyone recommend a good diet for these awesome fish?

Thanks, and sorry to threadjack :)