PDA

View Full Version : What size tank?

minnreefer
01/21/2001, 10:07 AM
If I build a mantis tank what would be the ideal size? I suppose that a mantis and a eel would not last long.
Thanks
Jonathan

Q-ball
01/21/2001, 02:53 PM
Hiya Minnreefer...Mine is currently in a 10g with a damsel and a recently acquired hermit crab...I plan on upgrading him to a 20g acrylic sometime. These things can get up to 6" or so based on the reading I've done, once they have their cave, they are pretty much set but I still think it's a good idea giving them some room. I don't think an eel would be a good ideal, as crustaceans are their favorite food. HTH

Q!!!

moviegeek
01/22/2001, 01:03 PM
It really depends on the size of the mantis. I'd say a minimum of 10 gallons for a 6" mantis. 15 or 20 gallons would be a lot better, though.

I have a 6" and a 7" mantis in a 20 gallon divided acrylic aquarium and it seems a little crowded. They like to make fairly large burrows in proportion to their body size.

No, the eel would not last long. Several people are having success keeping small, fast moving fish like damsels with their (well-fed) mantis.

minnreefer
01/22/2001, 07:03 PM
Moviegeek, you seem to be the local expert on Mantis, I am thinking about geeting one for my work. I have a few questions if you don't mind. I assume that I can get away with feeding them every 2-3 days, and the second question, I have a 10 gallon glass tank with a divided back for a thermomoter and skimmer will that work or should I wait and build a new tank.

moviegeek
01/22/2001, 07:28 PM
"I assume that I can get away with feeding them every 2-3 days"

Yep. Every other day is just about perfect. I tried feeding mine every day and after a couple weeks it started refusing to eat every third day or so.

"I have a 10 gallon glass tank with a divided back for a thermomoter and skimmer will that work or should I wait and build a new tank."

Well, that all depends on how big the shrimp is and how comfortable you are with hearing loud clicking noises as the shrimp bashes the glass. According to Dr. Roy Caldwell, even a large O. Scyllarus (Peacock Mantis) is unlikely to break a glass tank. But it does happen. And heaters and thermometers are definately easy targets for medium to large size mantis.

Personally, I wouldn't put anything but a 1 or 2 inch mantis in a 10 gallon AGA. The standard 10 gallon has 1/8" thick glass. That's pretty darn thin. When I first got my mantis I put it in my 29 gallon refugium, which had 3/8" thick glass. After watching and hearing her smash the glass the first day I was filled with dread. It was LOUD! And that tank was plumbed to my reef. And yes, the mantis did break the thermometer in that tank. The reports of fully grown mantis having a strike equivalent to a .22 caliber bullet are not urban legends.

You could always look around for cheap tank similar in size to the 10 gallon and see if it has thicker glass. Try a 15 high or 20 high. The 15 high has the same footprint, so if you already have the divider you could rip out the silicone and put it in the 15 high. Check to see if the glass is thicker than 1/8" though. If you get a bigger tank you could also keep a couple fast moving fish with the mantis (I have a blue damsel in my tank).

You could also buy one of the cheap Eclipse 6 or 12 tanks, although you will still have to seperate the heater.

You mentioned wanting to keep an eel with the mantis. If you have money to spend you could get a bigger acrylic aquarium and divide a section of it off for the mantis and put the eel on the other side.

Good job on planning to separate the heater and thermometer from the main tank.

"You seem to be the local expert on Mantis"

Not sure about that. Just seem to have a lot of time on my hands. :-)

Kinesthesia
02/12/2001, 10:33 AM
I have some questions to add...
1) Is acrylic preferred over glass? Is it harder to break ?

2) How about a titanium heater in the tank ?

3) Does anyone sell the Peacock Mantis online ?

Thanks.

moviegeek
02/12/2001, 11:27 AM
1) Yes. I haven't heard of acrylic ever being broken by a mantis.

2)Not sure what that is.

3)Yes. Flying Fish Express carries them, but they are not listed on the website. You'd have to call them up and describe exactly what kind of mantis you want.
Also, http://www.petswarehouse.com/marine-inverts.htm
has O. Scyllarus listed for only $5, but you should probably call and talk to someone in charge about what exactly you are getting for $5. I would expect to pay $15-$30 for a large Peacock Mantis.

Scotty
02/12/2001, 01:17 PM
I've been keeping three mantis for almost a year now, (in eclipse 6's) and I guess I've been lucky, none have ever taken a shot at the heater. I'm sure they could break it, but I wouldn't let that be a resticting factor starting out or worry about putting it in a sump. Maybe put a piece of rock or decoration in front of it so's the bug isn't tempted. I wouldn't worry too much. As for size, my four inch bugs are fine in the 6 gal tanks but the 6 inch bug is getting cramped. He'll go in a 12 gal soon. I got a great specimen from Flying Fish Express.com,(it took several weeks) but I would also go to all my lfs and ask them if they would pick up one when they go to their distributer, but be specific on species and size. Have you been to the Lurkers site? Lots of good info there, and pictures of my bugs! Good luck.
Scott L

Kinesthesia
02/13/2001, 10:34 AM
Uh... can you keep more than one in a tank ?

moviegeek
02/13/2001, 11:38 AM
Not for long. :-)
Males and females of the same species seem to get along until they mate. Once the female is impregnated, she gets territorial and, rather, uh, smashy.

Dr. Roy Caldwell told me male and female O. Scyllarus will get along for a couple of days to a couple of weeks. The female is always ready to mate, so it doesn't take too long for her to get pregnant. Once she gets pregnant she is likely to do extensive burrowing and won't appreciate the male's presence. It's not really clear to me whether the female will intentionally try to kill the male, or if there will just be aggression/ fights.