PDA

View Full Version : Flying with corals

Dustin_p
04/07/2008, 09:51 PM
Does anyone know if you can carry corals and fish onto an airplane. I travel a lot for business and could really take advantage of all the nice LFS's around the country. I think the 3oz or so limit of fluids would be the prohibiting factor. But I also know that pets can travel.... Fish are pets right???

dogstar74
04/07/2008, 10:17 PM
You can check whatever baggage you want. Thus I'd suggest putting a plastic thermos container in your checked bag. Then just put a coral frag in there with some water, Put it in a ziplock bag, and squeeze out all the air from the bag (for expansion) Then you're set. Most flights are what two hours?
So 2 hours to get on the plane, 2 hours flight, and 2 hours getting out of the airport. 6 hours travel time for the coral. NP.

Aaron.

MarkusII
04/08/2008, 12:20 AM
Hello,

I did this a lot before the crazy carry on liquid limit came; now not possible any more to take it as handluggage with you:sad2:

regards

Markus

greenbean36191
04/08/2008, 07:07 AM
Pack the corals without water and it shouldn't be an issue. They ship better that way anyway.

memorisa
04/08/2008, 07:26 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12281383#post12281383 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by greenbean36191
Pack the corals without water and it shouldn't be an issue. They ship better that way anyway.

just curious - how long do they survive like that? do you need additional moisture or some sort of medium to provide that? or is it just sarcasm? don't mean to come off as rude, but if that's possible it would make my life soooo much easier.

the coral prices here so intense, so as the fish. i.e. 4 headed (excuse my expression) frogspawn i just bought cost me 200$ and its nothing special, just green. a naso tang i bought and has passed away was 300$ was about 3-4 inches.

on the original topic, i'd also suggest to check w/e country you are flying into, their regulation w/ customs regarding livestock etc. for example, here if you were to do such a thing, ur prized coral will be dispersed before you leave the customs check point. sad..... FYI

greenbean36191
04/08/2008, 10:29 AM
No sarcasm. Take the coral out of the water, put it in a bag, and fill the bag with air. Although it seems counterintuitive, most corals can last much longer shipped like that than when they're shipped in water. The longest I've ever had one bagged like that was a little over 2 days, but some people have had them last longer.

SSpiro
04/08/2008, 11:10 AM
Wow, thats crazy..

chimmike
04/08/2008, 12:12 PM
very interesting to note.......maybe I can get some prized Alaskan corals to bring home next time I go there!

:D

Dustin1231
04/08/2008, 12:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12282632#post12282632 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by greenbean36191
No sarcasm. Take the coral out of the water, put it in a bag, and fill the bag with air. Although it seems counterintuitive, most corals can last much longer shipped like that than when they're shipped in water. The longest I've ever had one bagged like that was a little over 2 days, but some people have had them last longer.

All corals??? or just soft ones... i know my zoas came without water..

Dustin_p
04/08/2008, 02:09 PM
I have NEVER heard of such a thing.... Couple hours maybe, but days????? I would hate to spend 100$$$$ on a coral and have it dye.

atvdave
04/08/2008, 02:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12280081#post12280081 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dogstar74
You can check whatever baggage you want. Thus I'd suggest putting a plastic thermos container in your checked bag. Then just put a coral frag in there with some water, Put it in a ziplock bag, and squeeze out all the air from the bag (for expansion) Then you're set. Most flights are what two hours?
So 2 hours to get on the plane, 2 hours flight, and 2 hours getting out of the airport. 6 hours travel time for the coral. NP.

Aaron.

Wouldn't you have to tell them that you have a living package in your checked luggage? and if so what are the regulations? I know Fedex, UPS, and others do it all them time but I think it has to be packaged special & checked as live goods.

I travel a lot to and thought of it many times. In fact I'll be flying down to Tamps in 2 week. should would be nice to bring back some goodies.

magnetic1
04/08/2008, 04:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12284154#post12284154 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dustin_p
I have NEVER heard of such a thing.... Couple hours maybe, but days????? I would hate to spend 100$$$$ on a coral and have it dye.

Only if you used food coloring to pack it. :lol:

Dustin1231
04/09/2008, 08:14 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12282632#post12282632 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by greenbean36191

All corals??? or just soft ones... i know my zoas came without water..

greenbean36191
04/09/2008, 08:41 AM
It's safe for zoas, mushrooms, hard corals, and anemones for sure. I've heard of people successfully shipping Xenia that way as well. I've never tried it myself with any softies besides shrooms and zoas, so I'm not sure how well they do. If it works for anemones though I don't see any reason it shouldn't work for softies.

dogstar74
04/09/2008, 11:43 AM
There was a video on youtube about parts of thereef in the carribean that were exposed to the beating sun 100+ degree heat for over an hour when the tide went out. They were acropora species. And they survive.

!wrass!
04/09/2008, 08:14 PM
Corals in checked bagage worked for me. The weather was decent so just double bagged them and put them in the middle of the cloths.

Shipping dry would be interesting. It would work better for hot or cold weather.

C-Water
04/10/2008, 06:40 AM
Remember, when checking a bag, the TSA may open and look at the contents. If you don't have designated travel box for your items, the TSA may not replace it in your bag as you want. Thus, damaged livestock.

Also, any livestock should have some sort of "Keep Warm / Livestock / Live Animals" label on the exterior. If not, your box or bag will most likely be placed in an unheated cargo bin. With most larger (multi-bin) aircraft, they are loaded with more weight (cargo/bags) placed in the aft bins for better cruise performance. After two hours, that unheated bin will drop into the 50's or less.

So probably the best way to travel with all the travel regs, would be to ship in a designated fish box. That's what I do.