PDA

View Full Version : adding garlic to food

jubjub
04/08/2008, 12:19 PM
ok this sounds pretty stupid but i gotta ask....

when i read about people adding garlic to the fish food are they like taking some fish food and just cutting a piece of raw garlic and dumping it in to.......

or could i just thaw the food out and sprinkle a touch of garlic powder.

i ask cause i thought about doing this with the seawead for my tang...

BLKTANG
04/08/2008, 12:26 PM
I use Kent Garlic X-Treme.

gws76
04/08/2008, 12:27 PM
Not sure about raw garlic, but I use Kent garlic extreme. It's a liquid, very potent (stinks). That is the one I use, but I think there are pastes out there as well.

Crimthann
04/08/2008, 12:35 PM
I use both raw garlic and kent garlic extreme. I use the raw stuff for the food because i read something about people getting the best benefit out of freshly chopped garlic. The garlic extreme i use on nori because it's liquid and easier to get the nori to adsorb it.

That being said, I wouldn't use garlic powder. I think it's kept more for its taste not any sort of benefit. During the processing for it they dried out the garlic and then grind it down. I would think that this would harm it. Plus you never know what else they throw in there.

jubjub
04/08/2008, 12:44 PM
ahhh nifty guess i will go pick up some kent garlic extreme :D
thanks everyone

gws76
04/08/2008, 12:49 PM
jubjubrsx,

Keep in mind Kent Garlic extreme is very potent. It comes in a bottle that is sealed in a plastic tube. I have to keep mine in the tube, then in a plastic bag. That keeps it from stinking up my house. Or as my wife might say, her house.LOL

Jayclem
04/08/2008, 05:49 PM
I use Garlic Guard.

cloak
04/08/2008, 05:58 PM
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/sp/index.php

returnofsid
04/09/2008, 05:09 AM
I agree with cloak. There's been no evidence that using garlic in a marine system has any benefits against Marine Ich or most other marine maladies. It also NOT been evidenced to help increase appetite. Now with freshwater tanks, high dosages of garlic have been shown to cure FW ich. That being said, there's enough people who claim it's medicinal value that there may be some truth to it...even though there's no evidence to support it. There's also no evidence that garlic is in any way harmful. So...go for it if you want to but don't expect it to cure anything.