PDA

View Full Version : Plate Coral

PirateFish52
04/08/2008, 01:47 PM
I just bought 3 new corals for my tank.

1 short tentacle neon green plate coral, 1 tongue coral, and 1 long tentacle plate coral.

Do I need to feed these corals? If so how often?

I have read that they use photosynthesis and do not need to be fed. On the other hand, I have read that they need to be fed a few times a week with mysis of brine.

Which is correct?

I am kind of worried because the 2 plate corals have been deflating and inflating on and off.

cloak
04/08/2008, 02:13 PM
I don't think feeding is a must, but I do feed mine a piece of shrimp or scallop at least once every three weeks. Usually when they inflate they are trying to move. It might take some time to find them a good spot.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w16/jAb83_2007/dcp_1153.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w16/jAb83_2007/7.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w16/jAb83_2007/plate.jpg

eshook
04/08/2008, 03:33 PM
I have had a plate coral for a month or two now and I feed mine at least once a week. It appears to get food just fine when I feed the tank though.

Mine inflates and deflates on occasion and I wouldn't worry about it too much. It does appear when they are inflated that they move a bit. Mine tried to "eat" one of my favia so I moved it back and it hasn't moved in weeks.

Keep us updated and hopefully someone with more experience will comment on the inflate/deflate

PirateFish52
04/08/2008, 08:06 PM
I think my long tentacle plate coral is on the brink of disaster.

I came home tonight to find it about 90% deflated. It is deflated to the point that I can see it's skeleton.

The tongue coral is okay and the short tentacle neon green plate is okay. both of these are inflated. the tentacles are out for the short tentacle, but the tentacles are not out for the tongue coral.

Suggestions?

PirateFish52
04/09/2008, 10:42 AM
I think the long tentacle plate coral is dying. It is showing mostly all white skeleton.

Last night, a few of the tentacles were inflating a bit, and looked like it was making some sort of comeback. Now this morning, it is mostly all white skeleton again.

Can someone help me with any advice?

taillonjohn
04/09/2008, 11:29 AM
I never had a plate coral..... all I can say is try moving it around, if you have space. For example, one side of the tank might have more light, or more flow, than the other side. my own experience with corals is that if new additions dont seem to do so well, move it around... maybe to a place beside a rock that covers it from water flow, or maybe to a place with increased flow..

it might be too late already to try this, but note it for future reference

eshook
04/09/2008, 01:04 PM
I'm assuming you have it sitting on the sandbed, because these corals do not do well in the rock work. Beyond that I would listen to tailonjohn and try moving it to a new spot. Good luck.

Thhitman
04/09/2008, 10:21 PM
The long tentacled plates are kinda known for being hard to keep, the short tentacle ones do much better in captivity.

As far as rockwork goes, I have had a green short tentacle on the rockwork for over 2 years and its just fine.

eshook
04/09/2008, 10:52 PM
Really? Every source I have read has indicated that sitting on the rockwork is likely to tear their tissue. Unless the rockwork is smooth or the tissue is not really in contact. Thats interesting though. I'm always learning something new.

gws76
04/10/2008, 09:24 AM
piratefish52, don't throw your dead looking plate coral out yet! Plate corals are funny additions. I've never had a long tenticle before, but if they're anything like the short tenticle, it may come back or produce buds. That is one of the reproduction methods of plate coral, they die, and bud several new polyps. The plate coral I have has looked dead twice and came back twice. It's the only coral I have that has ever looked dead. It's been bleached and came back. One tough coral!

jcp7857
04/10/2008, 03:39 PM
I have witnessed a reproduction as described by gws76. At a local, they kept it in the tank just becasue they forgot to get it out, and eventually it made 3-5 new buds! Really cool!